Minimum-Fuel Transfer between Coplanar Elliptic Orbits - Global Results Using Green’s Theorem
The use of Green’s theorem to determine the minimum-fuel transfer between coplanar elliptic orbits in the time-free, orientation-free case is reviewed and extended to the consideration of aeroassisted transfers. In addition to the two-impulse Hohmann transfer, there are many other transfers between a given pair of elliptic orbits that satisfy the local optimality conditions. Green’s theorem offers a straightforward and effective means of proving that most of these transfers cannot be globally optimal. Using Green’s theorem, it is shown that the minimum-fuel aeroassisted transfer belongs to one of two one-parameter families of transfers. Direct numerical comparison of the fuel consumption is used to determine the optimal value of the parameter for each family. There remains a best aeroelliptic transfer and a best aero-parabolic transfer which must be compared with the Hohmann and bi-parabolic all-propulsive transfers to determine the minimum-fuel transfer for each pair of initial and final elliptic orbits.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.R.H. Baffin, “An Introduction to the Mathematics and Methods of Astrodynamics,” AIAA Education Series, AIAA, New York (1987).Google Scholar
- 3.J.V. Breakwell, “Minimum Impulse Transfer,” AIAA Paper 63–416 (1963).Google Scholar
- 5.T.N. Edelbaum, “Some Extensions of the Hohmann Transfer Maneuver,” ARS Journal 29 (11): 864 (1959).Google Scholar
- 6.F.W. Gobetz and J.R. Doll, “A Survey of Impulsive Trajectories,” AIAA Journal 5 (7): 801 (1969).Google Scholar
- 8.W. Hohmann, “Die Erreichbarkeit der Himmelskorper,” Oldenbourg, Munich 1925; also, NASA Translation TT-F-44 (1960).Google Scholar
- 9.R.E. Hoelker and R. Silber, “The Bi-Elliptic Transfer Between Circular Coplanar Orbits,” Department of the Army, Army Ballistic Missile Agency, Redstone Arsenal, Ala., Technical Memo 2–59 (1959).Google Scholar
- 10.D.F. Lawden, “Optimal Trajectories for Space Navigation,” Butterworths, London (1963).Google Scholar
- 12.K.D. Mease, “Optimization of Aeroassisted Orbital Transfer: Current Status,” Journal of the Astronautical Sciences 36 (1/2): 7 (1988).Google Scholar
- 13.J.P. Marec, “Optimal Space Trajectories,” Elsevier, Paris (1979).Google Scholar
- 14.A. Miele, “Problems of Minimum Time in the Nonsteady Flight of Aircraft,” Atti della Acaademia delle Scienze di Torino, Classe di Scienze Fisiche, Matematiche e Naturali 85: 41 (1950–51) (in Italian).Google Scholar
- 15.A. Miele, “Extremization of Linear Integrals by Green’s Theorem,” in: Optimization Techniques G. Leitmann, ed., Academic Press, New York (1962).Google Scholar
- 22.A. Shternfeld, “Soviet Space Science,” Basic Books, Inc., New York (1959).Google Scholar