According to DSM-III-R (American Psychiatric Association, 1987) the criteria for a diagnosis of pedophilia is the presence of urges and fantasies to be sexually involved with a prepubescent child or children, whether or not these urges are acted upon. These urges or acts must be present for at least 6 months, and the patient must be at least 16 years old, with the child or children in question at least 5 years younger.
KeywordsAuger Rosen Lawson Preven Pedophilia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1987). Diagnostic and statistic manual of mental disorders (3rd ed., rev.). Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar
- Laws, D. R. (1989). Relapse prevention with sex offenders. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Marshall, W. L., & Barbaree, H. E. (1988). A Manual for the Treatment of Child Molesters. Available from Dr. W. L. Marshall, Department of Psychology, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6.Google Scholar
- Marshall, W. L., & Hodkinson, S. M. (1988). The Sex with Children Scale. Unpublished scale under development.Google Scholar
- Marshall, W. L., Hudson, S. M. & Ward, T. (1992). Sexual deviance. In D. H. Wilson (Ed.), Principles and practice of relapse prevention (pp. 235–254). New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- McConaghy, N. (1991). Sexual disorders. In M. Hersen & S. M. Turner (Eds.), Adult psychopa- thology and diagnosis (pp. 323–359). New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Murphy, W. D. (1990). Assessment and modification of cognitive distortions in sex offenders. In W. L. Marshall, D. R. Laws, & H. E. Barbaree (Eds.), Handbook of sexual assault: Issues, theories and treatment of the offender (pp. 331–342). New York: Plenum.Google Scholar
- Nichols, H. R., & Molinder, I. L. (1984). The Multiphasic Sex Inventory. Available from Nichols & Molinder, 437 Bowes Drive, Tacoma, WA 98466.Google Scholar
- Rosen, R. C., & Beck, J. G. (1988). Patterns of sexual arousal: Psychophysiological processes and clinical applications. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Salter, A. (1988). Assessment and treatment of child sexual offenders: A practical guide. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Stermac, L. E., Segal, Z. V., & Gillis, R. (1990). Social and cultural factors in sexual assault. In W. L. Marshall, D. R. Laws, & H. E. Barbaree (Eds.), Handbook of sexual assault: Issues, theories and treatment of the offender (pp. 143–159). New York: Plenum.Google Scholar