The Determination of Posttranscriptional Modification in RNA
Significant progress has been made in recent years in recognition and understanding of the diversity of functional roles played by posttranscriptional modification in RNA (e.g., Björk et al., 1987; Cunningham et al., 1990; Björk et al., 1992). The functional aspects of modification have been most extensively studied in the case of tRNA (Björk et al., 1987; Björk et al., 1992) in which approximately 80 different posttranscriptionally modified nucleosides have been identified (Sprinzl et al., 1989; Edmonds et al., 1991). Although at an earlier time the structural characterization of modified nucleosides was usually undertaken in conjunction with their recognition during sequence determination (McCloskey and Nishimura, 1977), advances in structural methods based on mass spectrometry (McCloskey, 1991) have more recently resulted in the discovery of a number of new nucleosides in unfractionated tRNA, for which sequence locations are not yet known. We presently summarize recent progress in the development of three mass spectrometry-based methods, using instrumentation now commercially available, for the determination of posttranscriptional modification in RNA, with recent examples of their applications.
KeywordsPosttranscriptional Modification Electrospray Mass Spectrum Modify Nucleoside Archaeal Domain Ribose Methylation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Björk, G. R.,1992, in: “Transfer RNA in Protein Synthesis, ”Hatfield, D. L., Lee, B. J.,and Pirtle,R.M. eds., CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, p. 23.Google Scholar
- Bruenger, E., Kowalak, J. A., Kuchino, Y., McCloskey, J. A., Mizushima, H., Stetter, K. O., andCrain, P. F., 1993,FASEB Journal 7:916.Google Scholar
- Crain, P. F., Hashizume, T., Nelson, C. C., Pomerantz, S. C., and McCloskey, J. A., 1990, in: “Biological Mass Spectrometry,” Burlingame, A. L., and McCloskey, J. A., eds., Elsevier, New York, p. 509.Google Scholar
- Cunningham, P. R., Weitzmann, C. J., Nègre, D., Sinning, J. G., Frick, V., Nurse, K., and Ofengand, J., 1990, in “The Ribosome, Structure, Function and Evolution,” W. E. Hill, A. Dahlberg, R. A. Garrett, P. B. Moore, D. Schlessinger, and J. R. Warner, eds., American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC, p. 243.Google Scholar
- Edmonds, C. G., Crain, P. F., Hashizume, T., Gupta, R., Stetter, K. O., and McCloskey, J. A., 1987, J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun. 909.Google Scholar
- Kowalak, J. A., Pomerantz, S. C., Crain, P. F., and McCloskey, J. A., 1993, Nucleic Acids Res., in press. McCloskey, J. A., 1991, Accounts Chem. Res. 24:81.Google Scholar
- Pomerantz, S. C., Kowalak, J. A., and McCloskey, J. A., 1993, J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom., in press. Pomerantz, S. C., and McCloskey, J. A., 1990, Methods Enzymol. 193:796.Google Scholar