Extrinsic Factors in Ribosome Assembly
Total reconstitution, in vitro, of ACTIVE procaryotic 30s and 50s ribosomal subunits by self-assembly does not exclude the participation of extrinsic (non ribosomal) factors involved in ribosomal assembly in vivo,as already pointed out by Nierhaus (1991). The facts available at present in support of this idea are: the essentially different characteristics between in vitro and in vivo ribosome assembly, the occurence of post-translational modifications affecting several ribosomal proteins, the discovery of the rim genetic loci, and of other extraribosomal genetic determinants revealed as extragenic suppressors of mutations blocking ribosome assembly, and finally the possible role of the chaperone DnaK in ribosome biogenesis.
KeywordsSucrose magneSium Sodium Chloride Sedimentation Dine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alix, J.H.,1988, Post-translational methylations of ribosomal proteins, in: ‘Advances in Post-translational Modifications of Proteins and Aging. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology“, vol.231. V. Zappia, P. Galletti, R. Porta, F. Wold, eds. Plenum Press, pp. 371–385.Google Scholar
- Alix, J.H. and Guérin, M.F.,1992, submitted to Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA.Google Scholar
- Björk, G.R.,1987, Modification of stable RNA, in: “Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium: Cellular and Molecular Biology”. F.C. Neidhardt, J.L. Ingraham, K.B. Low, B. Magasanik, M. Schaechter and H.E. Umbarger, eds. American Society for Microbiology, pp. 719–731.Google Scholar
- Gaitanaris, G.A., Papavassiliou, A.G., Rubock, P. Silverstein, S.J. and Gottesman, M.E.,1990, Cell 61: 1013–1020 and 1992, Cell 70: 714.Google Scholar
- Lhoest, J. and Colson, C., 1981, Eur. J. Biochem. 121: 33–37.Google Scholar
- Nashimoto, H., Communication at the Conference “The Translational Apparatus”, Berlin, 1992.Google Scholar
- Nishi, K., Morel-Deville, F., Hershey, J.W.B., Leighton, T. and Schnier, J., 1988, Nature 336: 496–498 and 1989, Nature 340: 246.Google Scholar
- Vanet, A. and Alix, J.H. Abstract n°105 presented at the Conference ‘The Translational Apparatus“, Berlin, 1992.Google Scholar