Influence of Physical and Environmental Factors on Ion Channels in Arterial Muscle
Despite the existence of pharmacomechanical coupling in arterial muscle, it is now clear that electrophysiological events occurring at the plasma membrane, which regulate the resting membrane potential, largely influence the reactivity of intact arterial muscle cells. Factors which hyperpolarize arterial muscle inhibit voltage-operated Ca2+ channels reducing their ability to respond to stimuli. Similarly, factors which depolarize arterial muscle activate voltage-sensitive Ca2+ channels leading to activation. During the last ten years it has become apparent that one of the mechanisms responsible for the transduction of physical and environmental influences with respect to vascular reactivity is activation or inhibition of ion conductance systems setting a level of membrane potential around which vascular tone is enhanced or reduced.
KeywordsHPLC Lipase Serotonin Triphosphate Inositol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Harder, D. R. Pressure-dependent membrane depolarization in cat middle cerebral artery, Circ. Res. 55: 197, 1984.Google Scholar
- 11.Ma, Y-H, D. Gebremedhin, M. L. Schwartzman, J. R. Falck, J. E. Clark, B. S. Masters, D. R. Harder and R. J. Roman. 20-HETE is an endogenous vasoconstrictor of dog renal arcuate arteries. Circ. Res. 000:000 In Press, 1992.Google Scholar
- 13.Siegle, G. and J. Grote. PO2 induced changes of membrane potential and tension in vascular smooth musculative. In: “Oxygen Sensing in Tissues”, H. Acker, ed., Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1988.Google Scholar
- 15.Gebremedin, D., P. Bonnet, S. K. England, N. J. Rusch, J. H. Lombard and D. R. Harder. Hypoxia increases the activity of Ca2+-sensitive K+ channel in cat cerebral arterial muscle cell membranes, Pflugers Archiv. Submitted, 1992.Google Scholar
- 16.Harder, D. R., J. Narayanan, Y-H Ma and R. J. Roman. Activation of phospholipase C and induction of 2nd messengers in pressurized renal arteries, FASEB Journal 6: A1733, 1992.Google Scholar