Monitoring Transistor Degradation
In this chapter, two main issues concerning SOI technologies are addressed. On the one hand, SOI circuits are dedicated radiation-hard devices that do not suffer from any competition with bulk Si. On the other hand, the interface degradation, induced by hot-carrier injection into the gate oxide, is an intrinsic problem and a primary challenge for both Si and SOI transistors. The way this problem is alleviated, using simple and inexpensive processing and design solutions, is considered to be a strong argument in favor of a given technology.
KeywordsAttenuation Recombination Resis SIMOX
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Cristoloveanu, “Physical mechanisms of hot-carrier-induced degradation in deep-submicron MOSFETs,” ESSDERC’93 Conf. Proc. J. Borel, P. Gentil, J.P. Noblanc, A. Nouailhat, and M. Verdone (eds.), Ed. Frontières, Gif-sur-Yvette, France, p. 797, 1993.Google Scholar
- P. Heremans, R. Bellens, G. Groeseneken, A.. v. Schwerin, W. Weber, M. Brox, and H.E. Maes, “The mechanisms of hot carrier degradation,” in Hot Carrier Design Considerations for MOS Devices and Circuits C.T. Wang (ed.), Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1992.Google Scholar
- A. Hassein-Bey and S. Cristoloveanu, “Modelling and characterization of submicron p-channel MOSFETs locally degraded by hot carrier injection,” INFOS’91 Conf. Proc. Adam Hilger, Bristol, UK, p. 251, 1991.Google Scholar
- S. Cristoloveanu and T. Ouisse, “Properties of SIMOX and related systems,” in The Physics and Chemistry of Si02 and the Si-Sí02 Interface C.R. Helms and B.E. Deal (eds.), Plenum Press, New York, p. 309, 1993.Google Scholar
- A.G. Revesz, V.V. Afanas’ev, and H.L. Hughes, “Photo-injection studies of buried oxide layers in SIMOX and BESOI structures,” 1993 IEEE Int. SOI Conf. Proc. p. 24, 1993.Google Scholar
- E. Guichard, S. Cristoloveanu, G. Reimbold, and G. Borel, “Detailed analysis of buried oxide degradation induced by hot-carrier injection,” ESSDERC’93 Conf. Proc. J. Borel, P. Gentil, J.P. Noblanc, A. Nouailhat, and M. Verdone (eds.), Ed. Frontières, Gif-sur-Yvette, France, p. 825, 1993.Google Scholar
- A. Karmann, G. Reimbold, and S. Cristoloveanu, “Degradation and relaxation of the buried oxide in SIMOX MOSFETs,” in Silicon-On-Insulator Technology and Devices S. Cristoloveanu (ed.), The Electrochemical Society, Pennington, NJ, p. 351, 1994.Google Scholar
- E. Guichard, S. Cristoloveanu, G. Reimbold, and G. Borel, “Full analysis of alternating injection in SOI transistors: comparison to bulk transistors,” IEDM’9.4 Techn. Digest p. 315, 1994.Google Scholar
- L.T. Su, H. Fang, J.E. Chung, and D.A. Antoniadis, “Hot-carrier effects in fully-depleted SOI nMOSFETs,” IEDM’92 Techn. Digest p. 349, 1992.Google Scholar
- Y. Ohmura and K. Izumi, “Hot-carrier immunity of a 0.1—am—gate ultrathin-film MOSFET/SIMOX,” SSDM’92 Conf. Proc. p. 496, 1992.Google Scholar
- D. Flandre, P. Francis, J.P. Colinge, and S. Cristoloveanu, “Comparison of hot-carier effects in thin-film SOI and gate-all-around accumulation-mode p-MOSFETs,” 1993 IEEE Int. SOI Conf. Proc. p. 160, 1993.Google Scholar
- S. Cristoloveanu, D.E. Ioannou, R.K. Lawrence, G.J. Campisi, and H.L. Hughes, “Asymmetrical irradiation effects in SIMOX MOSFETs,” RADECS’93 Conf. Proc. IEEE, p. 373, 1994.Google Scholar