Electrotonic Structure and Synaptic Variability in Cortical Neurons
Compartmental models of reconstructed cortical neurons were used to assess the relative contributions of electrotonic filtering, synaptic parameters and recording characteristics on the distribution of synaptic responses measured at the soma from synapses located throughout the dendritic tree. In voltage clamp, cable filtering alone can generate significant variability and skewed amplitude and rise time distributions similar to those seen experimentally. Measures which are already significantly low-pass filtered, such as current clamp peak amplitude and area, are much less affected by cable filtering, and in order to match the experimentally observed distributions we must postulate another source of variability. Varying the peak synaptic conductance independent of location is sufficient to match the experimental distributions of all of these parameters, without interfering with the fit of the voltage-clamp distributions. This suggests that the synaptic variability measured experimentally is due to an interplay between cable filtering and intrinsic differences between synapses.
KeywordsAttenuation NMDA Univer Hines Bicuculline
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cauller, L. J. and B. W. Connors (1992) in Single Neuron Computation, T. McKenna, J. Davis and S. F. Zornetser, eds.Google Scholar
- Kim, H. G and B. W. Connors (1993) J. Neurosci., 13:5301–5311.Google Scholar
- Major, G. (1992)Ph.D. Thesis, Oxford University.Google Scholar
- Rail, W. (1967) J. Neurophysiol., 30:1138–1168.Google Scholar
- Roll, W., R. E. Burke, T. G. Smith, P. G. Nelson and K. Frank (1967) J. Neurophysiol., 30:1169–1193.Google Scholar
- Ra11, W. and I. Segev (1985) in Voltage and Patch-clamping with Microelectrodes, pp. 191–215, T. G. Smith Jr., H. Lecar and S. J. Redman, eds.Google Scholar
- Smetters, D. K. and S. B. Nelson. (1993) Soc. for Neuroscience Abstracts.Google Scholar
- Spruston, N. and D. Johnston (1992) J. Neurophysiol., 87:508–529.Google Scholar
- Spruston, N., D. B. Jaffe, S. H. Williams and D. Johnston (1993) J. Neurophysiol., 70:781–802.Google Scholar
- Stern, P., F. A. Edwards and B. Sakmann. (1992) J. Physiol., 449:247–278.Google Scholar
- Ulrich, D. and H-R. Luscher (1993) J. Nenrophysiol., 69:1769–1773.Google Scholar