Robotic packaging of poultry products
This chapter presents the findings of a research programme leading to the development of a robotic system specifically for packaging poultry portions. The results show that an integrated system, incorporating machine vision and robots, can be made feasible for industrial use. The elements of this system, including the end-effector, the vision module, the robot hardware and the system software, are presented. Models and algorithms for automatic recognition and handling of poultry portions are discussed.
KeywordsPoultry Product Unknown Object Operational Tray Robot Hand Poultry Processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anon (1984) Rubber muscles take robotics one step further, Rubber Developments 37: 117–119.Google Scholar
- Anon (1985) Robot hand with shape memory musculature, IBM Technical Disclosure Bulletin 28: 302–303.Google Scholar
- Anon (1988) Prospects for meat production, consumption and trade, Poultry International 27: 36–44.Google Scholar
- Culkosky, M. R. (1983) Robotic grasping and fine manipulation, in Natural Examples of Grasping, Kluwer, Amsterdam, pp. 123–131.Google Scholar
- Hanafusa, H. and Asada, H. (1977) Stable prehension by a robot hand with elastic fingers, in: Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Industrial Robots, Tokyo, pp. 361–368.Google Scholar
- Jacobsen, S. C., Wood, J. E., Knutti, F., Biggers, K. B. and Iversen, E. K. (1985) The Version I UTAH/MIT Dextrous Hand, Centre for Biomedical Design, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering and Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah.Google Scholar
- Kobayashi, H. (1985) Control and geometrical considerations for an articulated robot hand, International Journal of Robotics Research 4: 3–12.Google Scholar
- Pugh, A. (1983) Robot Vision, IFS Publications, Bedford.Google Scholar
- Tella, A., Kelley, R. and Birk, J. (1980) A contour adapting vacuum gripper, in: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Industrial Robotics, Milan, pp. 175–184.Google Scholar