Selective A2 Adenosine Receptor Agonists with Potent Inhibitory Activity on Platelet Aggregation
Recently, we have reported on the synthesis of the 2-hexynyl derivative of NECA, N-ethyl-l’deoxy-1’ -(6-amino-2-hexynyl-9H-purin-9-yl)-ßribofuranuronamide, identified as HENECA (Fig. 17-1), which was shown to possess high affinity at A2 adenosine receptors combined with a good A2 versus A1 selectivityTable 17-1 shows the ability of HENECA to inhibit the binding of radioligands to A1 and A2 receptors compared with that of NECA , 2-[[4-(2carboxyethyl) phenethyllamino) adenosine-5’N-ethyluronamide (CGS 21680) and of the selective A1 agonist 2-chloro-N6-cyclopentyladenosine (CCPA)  In the same table the effects of these compounds on the stimulation of platelet and PC 12 cell membrane adenylate cyclase are also shown . The results of the cyclase assays are in good agreement with the higher affinity of HENECA of the A2 receptors compared with the other adenosine agonists listed in Table 17-1.
KeywordsAdenosine Pyrane Benzyl Nucleoside HCooH
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Dionisotti S, Zocchi C, Varani K, Borea PA, Ongini E (1992) Effects of adenosine derivatives on human and rabbit platelet aggregation. Correlation of adenosine receptor affinities and antiaggregatory activity. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 347:673–676.Google Scholar
- 6.Conti A, Monopoli A, Gamba M, Borea PA, Ongini E (1993) Effect of selective A1 and A2 adenosine receptor agonists on cardiovascolar tissues. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 347:647–676.Google Scholar
- 7.Sandoli D, Chiu PJS, Chintala M, Dionisotti S, Ongini E (1994) In vivo and ex vivo effects of adenosine A1 and A2 receptor agonists on platelet aggregation in the rabbit. Eur J Pharmacol, in press.Google Scholar
- 8.Cristalli G, Volpini R, Vittori S, Camaioni E, Monopoli A, Conti A, Dionisotti S, Zocchi C, Ongini E (1994) 2-Alkynyl derivatives of adenosine-5’-N-ethyluronamide (NECA): Selective A2 adenosine receptor agonists with potent inhibitory activity on platelet aggregation. J Med Chem 37:1720–1726.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Matsuda A, Shinozaki M, Miyasaka T, Machida H, Abiru T (1985) Palladium-catalized cross-coupling of 2-iodoadenosine with therminal alkynes: Synthesis and biological activities of 2-alkynyladenosines. Chem Pharm Bull 33: 2551–2554.Google Scholar