Particularities of Tobacco Use and Cessation Programmes in Tunisia
Tobacco use is widespread in Tunisia; 68% of men and 11% of women use tobacco. Other than cigarettes, the narghile is gaining more and more adepts (15%–18% in urban areas), while the neffa is used mostly in rural areas.
Although tobacco use is a universal phenomenon, it can present specific characteristics in a given population. Different social, religious and cultural factors can therefore have the greatest influence on this behaviour. Any cessation intervention or anti-tobacco campaign must have examined these factors so as to use in the most effective way the elements supporting cessation and to confront the elements that might negatively impact on the fight against tobacco use.
Tobacco use, while a universal phenomenon, can present particularities in specific populations. Indeed, tobacco use behaviour is influenced by numerous social, religious and cultural factors which can have a negative or a positive effect on anti-tobacco campaigns. From this point of view, we propose to report on the particularities of tobacco use in Tunisia.
KeywordsUniversal Phenomenon Carbon Hydrate Tobacco Control Effort Manufacture Cigarette Snuff User
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Boujerra H. Historique du tabagisme en Tunisie. Cahier de Tunisie, 1992; 161:19–36.Google Scholar
- 2.El Gharbi B. Tabac et appareil respiratoire. Cerès Production-Tunisie, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.Ben Miled MT, Tanabène A, Maalej M, Zakhama B, El Gharbi B. Bronchopneumopathies chroniques chez la femme rurale en Tunisie. Revue Française des Maladies Respiratoires, 1984; 6:403.Google Scholar
- 4.Maalej M, Bouacha H, Helioui R, Nacef T, El Gharbi B. Nicotinism through Narguile (Sheesha) a comparative study with cigarettes. The Arab Journal of Medicine, 1986; 5(1):10–12.Google Scholar
- 5.Coméa C, El Mekki L, Ben Khedher A, Gabon S. Poumon de neffa (une Pneumoconiose végétale?) Tunisie Médicale 1976; 54:655–657.Google Scholar
- 7.Saint Koran. Sourat “Women” verse 29 - Sourat “The Cow” verse 195 - Sourat “El Aaraf’ verse 157.Google Scholar