Psychosocial Predictors of Obesity: Implications for Prevention
The psychosocial predictors of obesity pertaining to development of obesity may be applicable also to recurrence of obesity in formerly obese patients. The study of psychosocial predictors therefore may be of relevance for both primary and secondary prevention, which should be an integrated part of treatment programmes for obesity.
KeywordsSocial Class Psychosocial Factor Adoptive Parent Psychosocial Status Positive Energy Balance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lissau-Lund-Sorensen, I., &Sorensen, T. I. A. (1991). The effects of parents’ care on risk of becoming overweight in adulthood [Abstract]. International Journal of Obesity, 16(suppl 1), 244.Google Scholar
- Lissau-Lund-Sorensen. I., &Sorensen. T. I. A. (1992). Prospective study of the influence of social factors in childhood on risk of overweight in young adulthood. International Journal of Obesity. 16. 169–175.Google Scholar
- Lissau, I. &Sorensen, T. I. A. (1993). School difficulties in chldhood and risk of overweight and obesity in young adulthood: A ten year prospective population study. International Journal of Obesity. 17. 169– 175.Google Scholar
- Power, C. &Moynihan. C. (1988). Social class and changes in weight-for-eight between childhood and early adulthood. International Journal of Obesity. 12. 445–453Google Scholar
- Rissanen. A. M., Heliovaara, M., Knekt P., eunanen, A., & Arornaa, A. (1991). Determinants of weight gain and overweight in adult Finns. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 45, 419–430.Google Scholar
- Sorensen. T. I. A., Holst. C., &Stunkard, A J. (1992). Social and familial modification of the genetic influenceson body-mass index of adult adoptees? [Abstract] International Journal of Obesity, 16(suppl. 1). 21.Google Scholar
- Sorensen, T. I. A., Hoist. C., Stunkard. A. J., &Skovgaard. L. T. (1992). Correlations of body mass index of adult adoptees and their biological and adoptive relatives. International Journal of Obesity, 16, 227– 236.Google Scholar
- Teasdale, T. W., Sorensen, T. I. A., &Stunkard, A. J. (1992). Intelligence and educational level in relation to body mas index of adult males. Human Biology, 64, 99–106.Google Scholar
- Wadden, T. A., &Stunkard, A. J. (1985). Social and psychologicla consequences of obesity. Annals of Internal Medicine. 103. 1062–1067.Google Scholar