Effect of Sugars on Photoreceptor Outer Segment Assembly
During embryonic development, the rudimentary layers that will become the pigment epithelium (PE) and the neural retina are brought into close proximity upon the collapse of the optic vesicles. At this developmental stage, the retina is morphologically undifferentiated and photoreceptor outer segments have not yet begun to form. The close apposition of the PE and photoreceptors prior to the time when outer segments first appear raises the possibility that the PE could be a source of signals that induce or regulate photoreceptor development and outer segment elaboration. Also, the observation that outer segment development is limited in the absence of the PE in most species suggests that interactions between these two cell types may be of fundamental importance for the structural and functional maturation of photoreceptors [1, 2, 3, 5, 13, 16, 19, 20, 26].
KeywordsRetinal Detachment Outer Segment Photoreceptor Cell Photoreceptor Outer Segment Exogenous Sugar
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Adler R, Politi L (1989) Expression of a “ survival crisis” by normal and rd/rd mouse photoreceptor cells in vitro. In: LaVail MM, Anderson RE, Hollyfield JG (eds) Inherited and environmentally induced retinal degenerations, Alan R. Liss, Inc., New York, pp 169–181.Google Scholar
- 11.Gué rin CJ, Anderson DH, Fariss RN, Fisher SK (1989) Retinal reattachment of the primate macula. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci., 30: 1708–1725.Google Scholar
- 14.Lahiri D, Hollyfield JG (1992) Development of WGA-binding domains in the IPM of Xenopus laevis embryos. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. (Suppl.), 33: 815.Google Scholar
- 15.Lahiri D, Rayborn ME, Hollyfield JG (1991) Development of the IPM in Xenopus laevis embryos. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. (Suppl.)32: 1217.Google Scholar
- 20.Roof D, Hayes A, Adamian M, Marescalchi P, Heth C (1991) Photoreceptor development in rat neural retina-retinal pigment epithelium co-cultures. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci., 32: 1148.Google Scholar
- 23.Takeda Y, Yamaguchi K, Yamada K, Matthes MT (1993) Photoreceptor rescue of Royal College of Surgeons (RCS) rat retina by human subretinal fluid. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci., 34: 1097.Google Scholar