A year and a half ago we4 proposed a solution to the horizon and monopole problems that differed from many models of inflation in that it does not involve potential domination. Instead, we proposed that a cosmology with a dynamical Planck mass might resolve these problems.
Recently Brustein and Veneziano13 studied superstring inspired Lagrangians and found that the type of behavior required may be found in these models. As there is renewed interest in this subject, we wish to review some of the things we found. For instance, we discuss the horizon, flatness, and monopole problems in this non-potential dominated approach below.
The basic idea of our work was to attempt to use the behavior of gravity alone, without a potential, to solve the horizon and monopole problems of the standard Hot Big Bang cosmology. Here we discuss some of the problems we initially encountered and proposals we made to move beyond them.
KeywordsEntropy Production Einstein Gravity Causality Condition Planck Mass Scalar Theory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. J. Levin and K. Freese, Phys. Rev. D 47 (1993).Google Scholar
- Y. Hu, M. Turner, and E. Weinberg preprint also addresses some of these points, although we do not agree with their conclusions.Google Scholar
- A. D. Linde, Phys. Lett. 201 B,437 (1988); A. D. Linde, Particle Physics and Inflationary Cosmology. (New York: Hardwood Academic Publishers) (1990).Google Scholar
- A. D. Linde, Particle Physics and Inflationary Cosmology. (New York: Hardwood Academic Publishers) (1990); J. D. Barrow and A. Ottewill, J. Phys. A16, 2757 (1983); A. A. Starobinsky, Soy. Astron. Lett. 9, 302 (1983).Google Scholar
- R. Brandenberger, V. Mukhanov, and A. Sornborger, preprint 1993.Google Scholar
- Note, e.g., that a large number of relativistic degrees of freedom early on, g*(tpl)/g*(t0) ≫ 1, could explain the large entropy of the universe. E.g., one could imagine substructure of the fundamental particles as we know them now.Google Scholar
- R. Brustein and G. Veneziano, preprint CERN-TH 7179/94.Google Scholar