UK Atmospheric Dispersion Modelling System Validation Studies
The UK Atmospheric Dispersion Modelling System (UK-ADMS) is a new PC based dispersion model for continuous releases, or releases of finite duration, based on an up to date understanding of the boundary layer and dispersion and, including the complex effects of underlying complex terrain, buildings and coastlines. The scientific approach used has been described at previous ITM’s (Hunt et al 1990, Carruthers et al 1993). After extensive validation and testing the system has now been released. The purpose of this paper is to summarise the main features of the system and present important aspects of the validation.
KeywordsConvection Covariance Sedimentation Radionuclide Hunt
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carruthers, D.J., Holroyd, R.J., Hunt, J.C.R., Weng, W.S., Robins, A.G., Apsley, D.D., Smith, F.B., Thomson, D.J., Hudson, B. 1991. UK Atmospheric Dispersion Modelling System. Proc. 19th International Technical Meeting on Air Pollution Modelling and its Applications. Crete.Google Scholar
- Carruthers, D.J., Holroyd, R.J., Hunt, J.C.R., Weng, W.S., Robins, A.G., Apsley, D.D., Smith, F.B., Thomson, D.J., Hudson, B. 19921. UK Atmospheric Dispersion Modelling System. Proc. 20th NATO-CCMS Int. Conf on Air Pollution Modelling and its Applications, Greece. Google Scholar
- Clarke, R.H. (1979) A model for short and medium range dispersion of radionuclides released to the atmosphere. (First report of a working group on atmospheric dispersion.) National Radiological Protection Board Report NRPB-R91.Google Scholar
- Haugbakk, I. and Tønnesen, D.A. (1989): Atmospheric Dispersion Experiments in Lillestrtm. 1986–1987 Data Report. Lillestrøm, Norwegian Institute for Air Research (NILU OR 41/89).Google Scholar
- Grønskei, K.E. (1990): Variation in dispersion conditions with height over urban areas - results of dual tracer experiments. 9th AMS Symposium on Turbulence and Diffusion, 1990.Google Scholar
- ISC Industrial Source Complex Model, US E.P.A., Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards.Google Scholar
- Lamb, R.G. (1979): A numerical simulation of dispersion from an elevated point source in the convective planetary boundary layer. Atmospheric Environment 12 1297–1304Google Scholar
- Robins, A.G. & Fackrell, J.E. (1979): Continuous plumes - their structure and prediction in Mathematical Modelling of Turbulent Diffusion. ed. C.J. Harris, Academic Press.Google Scholar