Semantic Query Transformation
Semantic interoperability is concerned with the cooperation among information systems by providing transparent information exchange independent of semantic heterogeneity. Information systems of similar application domains exhibit more semantic problems compared to those of different domains due to the overlap in the underlying real-world concepts. We shall call the former category of application domains as the homogenous application domains. Approaches to handle semantic heterogeneity have been mostly based on either schema integration (common global schema) or schema mapping (multidatabase or federated systems). This paper presents an alternative approach to achieve semantic interoperability based on semantic query transformation. This approach assumes the availability of an object-oriented model based schema and a domain knowledge of the local context and an object-oriented model based schema of the target context. An informal description of the transformation process is presented with an illustrative example.
KeywordsLocal Context Application Domain Semantic Interoperability Link Attribute Target Context
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Johannesson, P. and Jamil, M.H. (1994), Semantic Interoperability: Context, Issues, and Research Directions inProc. of the Second International Conference on Cooperative Information SystemsBrodie, M.et al. (eds.), IEEE Press, pp. 180–191.Google Scholar
- 4.Keim, D.A., Kriegel, H.-P., and Miethsam, A. (1993), Object-Oriented Querying of Existing Relational Databases inProc. of the 4th International Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA’93).Prague, Czech Republic, 1993, in: Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 720, Springer, 1993, pp. 325–336.Google Scholar
- 5.Keim, D.A., Kriegel, H.-P., and Miethsam, A. (1994), Query Translation Supporting the Migration of Legacy Databases into Cooperative Information Systems inProc. of the Second International Conference on Cooperative Information SystemsBrodie, M.et al. (eds.), IEEE Press, pp. 203–214.Google Scholar
- 7.Raschid, L., Chang, Y., and Dorr, B. J. (1994), Query Transformation Techniques for Interoperable Query Processing in Cooperative Information Systems inProc. of the Second International Conference on Cooperative Information SystemsBrodie, M.et al. (eds.), IEEE Press, pp. 215–225.Google Scholar
- 8.Reddy, M. P., Prasad, B. E., and Reddy, P. G. (1989), Query Processing in Heterogeneous Distributed Database Management Systems, inIntegration of Information Systems: Bridging Heterogeneous DatabasesAmar Gupta (Ed.), IEEE Press, pp. 264–277.Google Scholar
- 9.Rumbaugh, J., Blaha, M., Premerlani, W., Eddy, F., and Lorensen, W. (1991)Object-Oriented Modeling and AnalysisPrentice Hall Intl.Google Scholar
- 11.Saake, G., Jungclaus, R., and Hartmann, T. (1993), Application Modelling in Heterogeneous Environments using an Object Specification Language, inProc. of the International Conference on Intelligent and Cooperative Information SystemsHuhns, M.et al. (eds.), IEEE Press, pp. 32–42.Google Scholar