Environmental reprogramming of the expression of protein kinase CK2β subunit in fish
The dramatic segregation of the nucleolar components in winter-acclimatized carp is the most striking cellular-phenotypical feature observed during the seasonal adaptation of this fish toward the circannual changes in its habitat. Our studies also show that the carp habitat temperature and photoperiod winter conditions provoke a remarkable reduction of both rRNA transcription and the processing of their precursors. To gain knowledge on the mechanisms involved in the regulation of nucleolar activity during the seasonal adaptation process, we studied the behavior of some genes, specifically snoRNA U3 and protein kinase CK2.
Consistent with the reduction in the synthesis and processing of pre-rRNA observed during the cold season, the level of CK2β expression decreases in winter when compared to that attained in summer. Similarly, in winter, liver and kidney cells contain lower levels of CK213 subunit protein compared to summer. CK2 is associated with or modifies different factors and enzymes involved in the nucleolar activity; therefore, its higher or lower content could be part of the molecular mechanisms underlying the nucleolar seasonal changes that occur during the compensatory acclimatization process. (Mol Cell Biochem 227: 107-112, 2001)
Key wordsprotein kinase CK23 subunit nucleolus fish acclimatization carp
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Figueroa J, Molina A, Alvarez M, Villanueva J, Reyes A, León G, Krauskopf M: Prolactin gene expression and changes of prolactin pituitary level during the seasonal acclimatization of the carp. Comp Biochem Physiol 108B: 551–560, 1994Google Scholar
- 5.Kausel G, Vera MI, San Martín R, Figueroa J, Molina A, Muller M, Martial J, Krauskopf M: Transcription factor Pit-1 expression is modulated upon seasonal acclimatization of eurythermal ectotherms: Identification of two Pit-1 genes in the carp. J Cell Biochem 75: 598–609, 1999PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Vera MI, Ríos HM, de la Fuente E, Figueroa J, Krauskopf M: Seasonal acclimatization of the carp involves differential expression of 5.8S ribosomal RNA in pituitary cells. Comp Biochem Physiol 118B: 777–781, 1997Google Scholar
- 12.Hannan R, Taylor L, Cavanaugh A, Hannan K, Rothblum LI: UBF and the regulation of ribosomal DNA transcription. In: M.R. Paule (ed). Transcription of Ribosomal RNA Genes by Eukaryotic RNA Polymer-ase I. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1998, pp 221–228Google Scholar
- 13.Csermely P, Schnaider T, Chatman B, Olson MOJ, Kahn CR: Insulin induces the phosphorylation of nucleolin. J Biol Chem 268: 9747–9752, 1993Google Scholar
- 17.Leal S, Kausel G, Figueroa J, Escobar J, Pinto R, San Martín R, Vera MI: Quantification of the expression of CK213 subunit during the acclimatization of the fish C. carpio. Biol Res: R-90, 2000Google Scholar
- 20.Litchfield DW, Lozeman FJ, Cicirelli MF, Harrylock M, Ericsson LH, Piening CJ, Krebs EG: Phosphorylation of the beta subunit of casein kinase II in human A431 cells. Identification of the autophosphorylation site and a site phosphorylated by p34ctic2. J Biol Chem 266: 20380–20389,1991PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 31.Ginisty H, Sicard H, Roger B, Bouvet P: Structure and functions of nucleolin. J Cell Sei 112: 761–772, 1999Google Scholar