Designing the Best Catamaran
This chapter illustrates use of the Analytic Hierarchy Process in the selection and design of a sailboat. How does one bring together one’s ideas when designing a versatile sailing machine? Imagination plays an important role but is full of disconnected thoughts. The AHP was used to first choose the overall sailboat design, and then to select some fundamental hydrodynamic features of the newly designed boat.
KeywordsLeeward Side Alternative Weight Sailing Performance Distance Racing Dual Track
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.American Institute of Aeronautics & Astronautics, Symposium on AER/Hydronautics of Sailing, vols. 8–10,15,19, and 23. Western Periodicals Publishing Co., North Hollywood, CA 91605.Google Scholar
- 2.Florence, R., The Optimum Sailboat, Harper & Row Publishing Co., NY, 1986.Google Scholar
- 3.Heaton, P., Make Sail, Pelham Books, London, England, 1972.Google Scholar
- 4.Kelly, A., Strong Solids, Clarendon Press, Oxford, England, 1986.Google Scholar
- 6.Street, D.M., The Ocean Sailing Yacht, Norton Publishing Co., NY, 1973.Google Scholar