Growth Hormone Treatment in Experimental Heart Failure
During the last years, GH and IGF-I have been recognized as important regulators of cardiac structure and function. The effects of GH on peripheral tissues are thought to be either direct or mediated by IGF-I. IGF-I is synthesized in multiple tissues including the heart and some of the effects have been suggested to be paracrine or autocrine (1-4). Both GH and IGF-I receptors are expressed in the heart and provide possibilities for GH and IGF-I signalling. Importance of the GH/IGF-I axis for the development of cardiac hypertrophy in response to increased hemodynamic load will be discussed in this chapter along with an overview of GH and IGF-I effects on intracellular calcium handling, apoptosis and cardiac performance in various experimental models.
KeywordsIschemia Polypeptide Doxorubicin Cardiomyopathy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Russell-Jones DL, Leach RM, Ward JPT, Thomas CR. Insulin-like growth factor-I gene expression is increased in the right ventricle hypertrophy induced by chronic hypoxia in the rat. J Endocrinol. 1993;10:99–102.Google Scholar
- 13.Strömer H, Cittadini A, Douglas PS, Morgan JP. Exogenously administered growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor-I alter intracellular Cat+handling and enhance cardiac performance. In vitro evaluation in the isolated isovolumic buffer-perfused rat heart. Circ Res 1996;79:227–236.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Tajima M, Weinberg EO, Bartunek J, et al. Treatment with growth hormone enhances contractile reserve and intracellular calcium transients in myocytes from rats with postinfarction heart failure. Circulation 1999;127–134.Google Scholar
- 27.Narula J, Haider N, Virmani R, et al. Apoptosis in myocytes in end-stage heart failure. N Engl J Med 1996;335–1182-1189.Google Scholar
- 32.Buerke M, Prufer D, Ibe W, et al. Human growth hormone exerts cardioprotective effects in murine reperfusion injury. Abstract # 2116, 70thScientific Session of the American Heart Association, Orlando, November 1997Google Scholar