Liberalization with Protection: Import Management in Korea (with Emphasis on Rice)
- 132 Downloads
Classic discussions of trade liberalization often deal with the implications of reducing tariffs or expanding import quotas. Of course, as soon as we take one step away from the textbook or chalkboard, we face a world of ingenious instruments that governments have devised to protect local capitalists from foreign capitalism. This chapter examines some of those ingenious instruments.
KeywordsWorld Trade Organization Trade Liberalization Consumer Surplus Supply Elasticity Import Management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Choi, J., D.A. Sumner, and J. Song. 1998. “Importing STEs in Korea and Japan: Evolution, Operation, and Implications.” Paper presented at the Role of State and Agricultural Trade Workshop, Co-organized by the North American Forum, Stanford University and Agricultural Issues Center, University of California (20–22 November).Google Scholar
- Lee, J., D. Kim, Y. Sakong, J. Suh, and J. Im. 1994. Direction of Import Management after the Liberalization. Korea Rural Economic Institute. Seoul, Korea (April).Google Scholar
- Lee, J. and Y.K. Choi. 1997. Evaluation of Agricultural Market Liberalization and Direction of Import Policy. Seoul, Korea: Korea Rural Economic Institute (December).Google Scholar
- MAF (Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry). 1998. Annual Report on the Situation of Agriculture. Seoul, Korea: Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (October).Google Scholar
- Republic of Korea. 1994. Country Schedule. Seoul, Korea: Republic of Korea.Google Scholar
- Sumner, D.A. and S. Tangermann. Forthcoming. “International Trade Policy and Negotiations,” in B. Gardner and G. Rausser, eds., Handbook of Agricultural Economics. Amsterdam, Netherlands: North Holland Press.Google Scholar
- SAROK (Supply Administration of the Republic of Korea). 1998. Government Report, Invitation for Bids. Seoul, Korea: Administration of the Republic of Korea (19 September).Google Scholar
- USDA/FAS (U.S. Department of Agriculture, Foreign Agricultural Service). “FAS Outline-Pacific Rim,” Internet website: http://www.fas.usda.gov/itp/policy/pacific.Frim.html.
- WTO (World Trade Organization). 1995. Notification Concerning the Administration of Tariff Quotas of Korea. WTO Report No. G/AG/N/KOR/1, Geneva, Switzerland (31 May).Google Scholar
- WTO. 1996. Review of Korea, WTO Report No. PRESS/TPRB/42, Geneva, Switzerland (1 October).Google Scholar