Partial Fractal Model for Hybird Image Coding
The fractal image compression technique models a natural image using a contractive mapping called fractal mapping in the image space. In this chapter, we first introduce the concept of fractal mapping and some useful definitions. In Section 5.2, we demonstrate that the fractal image coding algorithm is compatible with other image coding methods. A new mapping in the image space, called partial fractal mapping is proposed in Section 5.3. A general framework of fractal-based hybrid image coding encoding/decoding systems is presented in Section 5.4. Section 5.5 proposes a new hybrid image coding scheme, which non-fractal coded regions are used to help the encoding of fractal coded regions. Experiments in Section 5.6 show that the proposed system performs better than the quadtree-based fractal image coding algorithm and the JPEG image compression standard at high compression ratios larger than 30.
KeywordsHybrid System Compression Ratio Iterate Function System Image Code Fractal Mapping
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B.B. MandelbrotThe Fractal Geometry of NatureSan Francisco: W.H. Freeman, 1983.Google Scholar
- M.F. BarnsleyFractals Everywhere, New York: Academic Press, 1988.Google Scholar
- T. Laurencot and A.E. Jacquin, “Hybrid image block coders incorporating fractal coding and vector quantization, with a robust classification scheme”AT&T Tech. Memo. Feb. 1992.Google Scholar
- Y. Fisher, “Fractal image compression with quadtrees”, inFractal Image Compression: Theory and Applications to Digital ImagesY. Fisher, ed., New York: Springer-Verlag, 1994.Google Scholar
- X.K. Zhou, ed.Practical Microcomputer Image ProcessingBeijing: Beijing Univ. of Aeronautics and Astronautics Press, 1994.Google Scholar