Multifractal Simulation of Geochemical Map Patterns
Using a simple multifractal model based on the De Wijs model, various geochemical map patterns for element concentration values are being simulated. Each pattern is self-similar on the average in that a similar pattern can be derived by application of the multiplicative cascade model used to any small subarea on the pattern. In other experiments, the original, self-similar pattern is distorted by superimposing a 2dimensional trend pattern and by mixing it with a constant concentration value model. It is investigated how such distortions change the multifractal spectrum estimated by the 3-step method of moments.
KeywordsSulfide Silicate Petroleum Radar Autocorrelation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agterberg, F.P., 1999, Discussion of “Statistical Aspects of Physical and Environmental Science:” Bull. Intern. Statistical Inst., Tome 58 (Book 3), p. 213–214.Google Scholar
- Agterberg, F.P., Cheng, Q., and Wright, D.F., 1993, Fractal modeling of mineral deposits, in Elbrond, J. and Tang, X, eds., Proc., APCOM XXIV, Intern. Symp. Application of Computers and Operations Research in the Mineral Industries: Can. Inst. Mining Metall. (Montréal, Canada), p. 43–53.Google Scholar
- Cheng, Q., 1994, Multifractal modelling and spatial analysis with GIS: gold potential estimation in the Mitchell-Sulphurets area, northwestern British Columbia: unpubl. doctoral dissertation, Univ. Ottawa, 268 p.Google Scholar
- Cheng, Q., and Agterberg, F.P., 1996, Multifractal modeling and spatial statistics: Math. Geology, v. 28, no. 1 p. 1–16.Google Scholar
- De Wijs, H.J., 1951, Statistics of ore distribution: Geologie en Mijnbouw, v. 13, p. 365–375.Google Scholar
- Drew, L.J., Schuenemeyer, J.H., and Bawiec, W.J., 1982, Estimation of the future rates of oil and gas discoveries in the western Gulf of Mexico: U.S. Geol. Survey Prof. Paper 1252, 26 p.Google Scholar
- Evertsz, C.J.G., and Mandelbrot, B.B., 1992, Multifractal measures (Appendix B), in Peitgen, H.-O., Jurgens, H., and Saupe, D., eds., Chaos and fractals: Springer Verlag, New York, p. 922–953.Google Scholar
- Harris, D.P., 1984, Mineral Resources Appraisal: Clarendon Press, Oxford, 445 p.Google Scholar
- Herzfeld, U.C., 1993, Fractals in geosciences - challenges and concerns, in Davis, J.C., and Herzfeld, U.C., Computers in geology: 25 years of progress: Intern. Assoc. Math. Geology Studies in Mathematical Geology, no. 5, Oxford Univ. Press, New York, p. 176–230.Google Scholar
- Krige, D.G., 1978, Lognormal-de Wijsian geostatistics for ore evaluation: South African Inst. Mining Metall. Johannesburg, 50 p.Google Scholar