X-Ray Emission from Laser Irradiated Structured Gold Targets
Laser produced plasma is a potential source of X-rays and there has been a substantial work on the generation of such sources1–4 using various laser parameters like wavelength, pulse duration, laser intensity and also target atomic numbers etc.. X-ray enhancement by micro structuring the target surface5–9 and target configurationlike spherical cavity10 and half cylindrical grooves11 have been reported. A continuum X-ray spectra in 1–100 nm range can be easily produced by using a laser beam of wavelength ~1 µm, pulse duration ~10 ns, power density ~1012 W/cm2 on a high “z” target materials3 like gold (z =79). Such spectra is obtained due to various transition to N and O shells ie.on the dynamics of the populations of electron energy levels. The purpose of the experiment reported here was to study the possibility of obtaining higher X-ray yield for a given laser parameter and target material. Present results show that we can obtain almost twice the X-ray flux as compared to planar gold slab target by simply modifying the target surface. ie. the size and cost of the laser system to produce a given X-ray flux can be reduced.
KeywordsTarget Surface Structure Target Source Size Ablation Depth Groove Surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Walker T.et al, Appí.Phys. Latts, 62(10), 1068,1996Google Scholar
- 12.Desai T. and Pant H.C Laser and Particle beams 17(1), 2000Google Scholar
- 13.Puell H., Z. Naturforsch, 25,1807, 1970Google Scholar
- 16.Kruer W.L,’The physics of Laser Plasma Interaction’Addison-Wesley Publ.Co.55,1988Google Scholar
- 18.Max C.E, Physics of Laser Fusion Vol.l UCRL-53107, 8, 1981Google Scholar
- 20.Babonneau D. et al. “Laser interaction and related plasma phenomenon” Ed. by H.Schwartz and H.Hora Vol.Vl, 817, 1983Google Scholar
- 21.Pant H. C. Private communication. To be published.Google Scholar
- 22.Desai T. Ph.D thesis “ Hydrodynamics of laser irradiated thin solid targets” Univ. of Bombay, Ch.5 X-radiation transport. 1992Google Scholar