Investigation of 2H(d,n) 3He and 3H(d,n) 4He Fusion Reactions as Alternative Neutron Sources for BNCT
Beam-shaping assemblies have been designed to moderate high energy neutrons from the fusion reactions 2H(d,n)3He (DD) and 3H(d,n)4He (DT) for use in Boron Neutron Capture Therapy. The low yield of DD is an obstacle for the treatment of Glioblastoma Multiforme. Our analysis shows that the high-energy neutrons from DT can be moderated to epithermal energy range without reducing the neutron flux to a negligible level. With the optimal beam-shaping assembly design for DT, a 1A deuteron beam with energy of l20keV leads to a treatment time of 50 minutes. The dose near the center of the brain obtained with this configuration is about 50% higher than the dose from a typical spectrum produced by the Brookhaven Medical Research Reactor (BMRR), and is comparable to the dose obtained by other accelerator-produced neutron beams.
KeywordsDose Distribution Glioblastoma Multiforme Fusion Reaction Neutron Source Neutron Beam
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.C.K.C. Wang, T.E. Blue, and R. Gahbauer, A Neutronics Study of an Accelerator-Based Neutron Irradiation Facility for BNCT, Nuclear Technology, 84:93–107, 1989.Google Scholar
- 5.L.A. Shope, Theoretical thick target yields for the D-D, D-T, and T-D nuclear reactions using the metal occluders Ti and Er and energies up to 300 keV, SC-TM-66-247, Sandia Laboratory, Albuquerque, July 1966.Google Scholar
- 6.“MCNP-A A General Monte Carlo N-Particle Transport Code, Version 4B”, J.E. Briesmeister, Ed., LA-12625-M, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.A.D. Chanana, Boron Neutron Capture Therapy of Glioblastoma Multiforme at the Brookhaven Medical Research Reactor, A Phase I/II Study, FDA IND #43317, Protocol #4, Medical Department, Brookhaveen National Laboratory, Upton, NY 11973, January 1996.Google Scholar
- 9.J.M. Verbeke, S.V. Costes, D. Bleuel, J. Vujic, and K.N. Leung, Designing an Epithermal Neutron Beam for BNCT for the Fusion Reactions 2H(d,n)3He and 3H(d,n)4He, proceedings of the International Conference on the Physics of Nuclear Science and Technology, Long Island, NY, October 5–8, 1998, pp. 1600–1607.Google Scholar
- 10.High Voltage Engineering Corporation, Burlington, Massachusetts.Google Scholar
- 11.J.A. Coderre, R. Bergland, J. Capala, M. Chadha, A.J. Chanana, E. Elowitz, D.D. Joel, H.B. Liu, and D. Slatkin, Boron Neutron Capture Therapy for glioblastoma multiforme using p-boronophenylalanine and epithermal neutrons-Trial design and early clinical results, J. Neuro-Oncol., 33:93–104, 1997.CrossRefGoogle Scholar