A Comparison of Neutron Fields for BNCT
Previously, we have developed the in-phantom neutron field assessment parameters T and DTumor for the evaluation of epithermal neutron fields for use in BNCT.1 These parameters are based on an energy-spectrum-dependent neutron normal-tissue RBE2 and the treatment planning methodology of Gahbauer and his co-workers,3 which includes the effects of dose fractionation.
KeywordsNeutron Source Boron Neutron Capture Therapy Epithermal Neutron Tumor Depth Neutron Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.E. Woollard, T.E. Blue, N. Gupta, and R.A. Gahbauer, “Development and Application of Neutron Field Optimization Parameters for an Accelerator-Based Neutron Source for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy”, Nucl. Tech., 155:100–112, (1996).Google Scholar
- 2.T.E. Blue, J.E. Woollard, N. Gupta, and R.A. Gahbauer, “Beam Design and Evaluation for BNCT,” Proc. of First Inter. Workshop on Accelerator-Based Neutron Sources for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy, Jackson, WY, Sept. 11–14, 1994, INEL Report Conference-940976, pp. 197–212, (1995).Google Scholar
- 5.J.A. Coderre, E.H. Elowitz, M. Chadha, R. Bergland, J. Capala, D.D. Joel, H.B. Liu, D.N. Slatkin, and A.D. Chanana, “Boron Neutron Capture Therapy for Glioblastoma Multiforme using p-boronophenylalanine and Epithermal Neutrons: Trial Design and Early Clinical Results”, J. Neuro. Oncol., 33:141–152,(1997).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.R.A. Gahbauer, R.G. Fairchild, J.H. Goodman, and T.E. Blue, “RBE in Normal Tissue Studies”, Boron Neutron Capture Therapy: Toward Clinical Trials of Glioma Treatment, D. Gabel and R. Moss (ed), Plenum Press, N.Y., 123–128, (1992).Google Scholar
- 7.D.L. Bleuel, S.V. Costes, R.J. Donahue, B.A. Ludewigt, and J. Vujic, “Neutronics Analysis of Three Beam-Filter Assemblies for an Accelerator-Based BNCT Facility”, Proceedings of the Topical Meeting on Nuclear Applications of Accelerator Technology, Albuquerque, NM., Nov. 16–20, 1997, pp. 502–507, (1997).Google Scholar
- 8.J.F. Briesmeister (ed.), “MCNP-A General Monte Carlo N-particle Transport Code, Version 4A,” LA-12625, Los Alamos National Laboratory (1993).Google Scholar