BNCEFN Optimisation with Lead Blocks Collimation and Graphite Embedding
Several authors have demonstrated the feasibility and efficiency of Boron Neutron Capture Enhancement of Fast Neutron (BNCEFN) at their facility.1, 2, 3, 4, 5 The two major difficulties of this technique are to incorporate a large amount of 10B selectively into the tumor (>100µg/g) and to optimize neutron thermalization in the tissues. Unfortunately, it has been also demonstrated that the number of thermal neutrons per fast neutron Gy (nth.Gy−1) is inversely proportional to fast neutron energy, and strongly proportional to the size of fast neutron irradiation field.3, 4, 5 Thus, a dramatic decrease of thermal neutron flux is seen when the irradiation fields are reduced to conform the target volume.
KeywordsGraphite Boron Beryllium Cylin Diop
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.G.E. Laramore, P. Wooton, J.V. Livesey, D.S. Wilbur, R. Risler, M. Phillips, J. Jacky, T.A. Buchholz, T.W. Griffin, and S. Brossard, Boron neutron capture therapy: A mechanism for achieving a concomitant tumor boost in fast neutron radiotherapy. Int. J. Rad. Oncol. Biol. Phys., 28:1135–1142, 1994.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.P. Paquis, J.P. Pignol, M. Lonjon, N. Brassart, A. Courdi, P. Chauvel, P. Grellier, and M. Chatel, Boron neutron capture enhancement (BNCE) of fast neutron irradiation for glioblastoma: increase of thermal neutron flux with heavy material collimation a theoretical evaluation. J. Neuro Oncol., 41:21–30, 1999.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.J.P. Pignol, P. Paquis, P. Cuendet, D. Gibon, C.M.B. Diop, and R. Sabattier, Beam collimation and patient contentious material Optimizations for 10Boron Neutron Capture Enhancement of fast neutron (BNCEFN): definition of the optimum irradiation technique. Int. J. Rad. Oncol. Biol. Phys., 43:1151–1159, 1999.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.J.P. Pignol, P. Cuendet, N. Brassart, G. Fares, F. Colomb, C.M.B. Diop, R. Sabattier, A. Hachem, and G. Prevot, Combined use of FLUKA and MCNP-4A for the Monte Carlo simulation of the dosimetry of 10Boron Neutron capture Enhancement of fast neutron. Medical Physics, 25:885–891, 1998.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.A. Fasso, A. Ferrari, J. Ranft, and P.R. Sala, FLUKA: Performances and Applications in the Intermediate Energy Range, in “Proceedings of the Specialists Meeting on Shielding Aspects of Accelerators Target and Irradiation Facilities”. Arlington Texas April 28–29, 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.J.F. Briesmeister, “MCNP-A general Monte Carlo code for Neutron and Photon transport version 4-A”. Los Alamos National Laboratory LA-7396-M, 1986.Google Scholar