Morphology of the Hammer and Drumming Signals in Two Stonefly Species, Gibosia Hagiensis (Okamoto) and Kiotina Pictectii (Klapálek) (Perlidae)
Drumming signals of males in Gibosia Hagiensis (Okamoto) and Kiotina pictetii (Klapálek) were recorded in the laboratory. Males of the species had a specialized “hammer” on the ventral abdomen, which is used for signal production. The ultrastructure of the hammer was described using a scanning electron microscope. G. hagiensis had a hammer with a scaly surface and produced monophasic signals by rubbing the substrate with the hammer. The hammer of K. pictetii was oval in shape and had a ridged surface with scattered short sensilla basiconica. They produced monophasic signals by tapping the substrate with the hammer.
KeywordsSignal Production Male Call Ridge Surface Kochi Prefecture Sensilla Basiconia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Maketon, M. and K. W. Stewart. 1984. Further studies of drumming behavior of North American Perlidae (Plecoptera). Ann. ent. Soc. Amer. 77: 770–778.Google Scholar
- Maketon, M., K. W. Stewart, B. C. Kondratieff and R. F. Kirchner. 1988b. New descriptions of drumming and evolution of the behavior in North American Perlodidae (Plecoptera). J. Kans. ent. Soc. 61: 161–168.Google Scholar
- Maruyama, A. I. Saleh and H., M. Takai. 1994a. Adult stoneflies (Insecta, Plecoptera) collected from Mt. Tsurugi, Tokushima Prefecture, Shikoku. Bull. Tokushima Museum 4: 91–96.Google Scholar
- Maruyama, H., M. Takai and T. Kawasawa. 1994b. Stonefly fauna of Kochi Prefecture, Shikoku, Japan (2). Gensei 65: 13–16. (In Japanese, with English summary).Google Scholar
- Rupprecht, R. 1976. Strukture und Funktion der Bauchblase und des Hammers von Plecopteren. Zool. Jb. Anat. Bd. 95: 9–80.Google Scholar
- Stewart, K. W., S. W. Szczytko, B. P. Stark and D. D. Zeigler. 1982. Drumming behavior of six North American Perlidae (Plecoptera) species. Ann. ent. Soc. Amer. 75: 549–554.Google Scholar
- Stewart, K. W., S. W. Szczytko and M. Maketon. 1988. Drumming as a behavioral line of evidence for delineating species in the genera Isoperla, Pteronarcys, and Taeniopteryx (Plecoptera). Ann. ent. Soc. Amer. 81: 689–699.Google Scholar
- Uchida, S. 1990. A revision of the Japanese Perlidae (Insecta: Plecoptera) with special reference to their phylogeny. D. Sc. thesis, Tokyo Metropolitan University.Google Scholar