Mechanical Property Degradation Induced by Elevated Temperature Environmental Attack in MCrAlY Coatings of Gas Turbine Blades
This paper presents the influence of in-service environmental attack on the mechanical properties and microstructure/composition of plasma sprayed MCrAlY coatings over Ni based superalloy substrates in gas turbine (GT) blades using a small punch (SP) testing technique and scanning Auger microprobe analysis. SP tests on near surface CoNiCrAlY coatings demonstrated strong dependence of mechanical degradation on the elevated temperature environmental condition. In-service operation under the combined fuels of kerosene and liquefied natural gas (LNG) led to a two-fold increase in the ductile-brittle transition temperature over coatings observed mainly under LNG because of more extensive oxidation and grain boundary sulfidation. In CoCrAlY coatings of GT blades operated at higher temperatures than the CoNiCrAlY ones under LNG fuels, substantial oxidation/carbonization and nitridation occurred in near surface and interface regions of concave coatings, respectively, but not in convex coatings. Brittle cracks in the near surface and interface of concave coatings more easily initiated up to 950 °C than in the convex coatings. It was found that the oxidation/carbonization and nitridation in the concave CoCrAlY coatings produced a greater ductility loss than the oxidation/sulfidation in the CoNiCrAlY coatings.
KeywordsSmall Punch MCrAlY Coating Scanning Auger Microprobe CoNiCrAlY Coating Dynamic Embrittlement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baik, J. M., Kameda, J. and Buck, O., 1983, Small punch test evaluation of intergranular embrittlement of an alloy steel. ScriptaMetall., 17:1143.Google Scholar
- Chang, K. M., Henry, M. F. and Benz, M. G., 1990, Metallurgical control of fatigue crack propagation in superalloys. JOM, 42–12: 29Google Scholar
- Kameda, J., Bloomer, T. E. and Sakurai, S., 1998, In-service mechanical property degradation of CoCrAlY coatings in land-based gas turbine blades. In Thermal Spray: Meeting the Challenge of the 21st Century (C. Coddet, ed.), ASM International, Materials Park, OH, p. 981.Google Scholar
- Kameda, J., Bloomer, T. E., Sugita, Y., Ito, A. and Sakurai, S., 1996, Examination of In- service degradation in gas turbine blades using a small punch testing method. In Layered Materials for Structural Applications (J. Lewandowski, C. H. Ward, M. R. Jackson and H. W. Hunt, Jr., eds.), Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, p.39.Google Scholar
- Kameda, J., Bloomer, T. E., Sugita, Y., Ito, A. and Sakurai, S., 1997a, High temperature environmental attack and mechanical degradation of coatings in gas turbine blades. Mater. Sci. Eng., A229:42.Google Scholar
- Kameda, J., Bloomer, T. E., Sugita, Y., Ito, A. and Sakurai, S., 1997b, Mechanical properties of aluminized CoCrAlY coatings in advanced gas turbine blades. Mater. Sci. Eng., A234–236: 489.Google Scholar
- Lefebvre, H., 1987, In Gas Turbine Combustion, Hemisphere Publishing Co., Washington.Google Scholar
- Seah, M. P., 1983, Quantification of AES and XPS, In Practical Surface Analysis by Auger and X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscop y (B. Briggs and M. P. Seah eds.), Willey, New York, p. 181.Google Scholar
- Schmitt-Thomas, KH. G., Meisel, H. and Dorn, H. J., 1978, Effect of high temperature corrosion on the creep behavior of aero gas turbine materials. In Materials and Coatings To Resist High Temperature Corrosion (D. R. Holmes and A. Rahmel eds.), Applied Science Publisher, London, p. 87.Google Scholar
- Strang, A. and Lang, E., 1982, Effect of coatings on the mechanical properties of superalloys. In High Temperature Alloys for Gas Turbines (R. Brunetaud, D. Coutsouradis, T. B. Gibbons, Y. Lindblom, D. B. Meadowcroft and R. Stickler, eds.), Reidal Publishing Co., London, p. 469.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sugita, Y., Ito, A., Sakurai, S., Isobe, N., Gold, C. R., Bloomer, T. E. and Kameda, J., 1995a, Degradation characteristics of intermetallic coating on nickel base superalloy substrate in gas turbine blade. Mater. Manuf. Proc., 10–5: 987.Google Scholar
- Sugita, Y., Ito, A., Sakurai, S., Gold, C. R., Bloomer, T. E. and Kameda, J., 1995b, Mechanical and microstructural/chemical degradation of coating and substrate in gas turbine blade. In Materials Ageing and Component Life Extension (V. Bicego, A. Nitta and R. Viswanathan, eds.), EMAS, West Midland, p. 307.Google Scholar