Grain Boundary Engineering for the Control of Oxidation Embrittlement
The effect of grain boundary type on intergranular oxidation was studied in a nickel-40at%iron alloy. It has been found that intergranular oxidation takes place preferentially at random boundaries while low-Σ coincidence boundaries, particularly Σ3, Σ11, Σ19 and Σ27 coincidence boundaries have excellent oxidation resistance. The grain boundary engineering for the control of oxidation-assisted intergranular brittleness has been attempted by taking account important roles of the grain size, the grain boundary character distribution (GBCD) and the grain boundary connectivity. The presence of an optimal grain boundary microstructure for this purpose has been predicted.
KeywordsIntergranular Fracture Roller Speed Coincidence Site Lattice Orientation Image Microscope Random Boundary
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Birks, N. and Meier, G. H., Introduction of High Temperature Oxidation of Metals, Edward Arnold, (1983).Google Scholar
- 2.Rapp, R. A., The high temperature oxidation of metals forming cation-diffusing scales, Met Trans., 15(b): 195, (1984).Google Scholar
- 3.Matsuno, F., Nishikida, S. and Harada, T., Oxidation of Fe-Ni alloys at high temperatures, Tetsu to Hagane, 67: 2029, (1981).Google Scholar
- 4.Bricknell, R. H. and Woodford, D. A, Grain boundary embrittlement of the iron-based superalloy IN903A, Met. Trans., 12A: 1673, (1981).Google Scholar
- 7.Kusabiraki, K., Ikegami, J., Nishimoto, T. and Ooka, T., High-temperature oxidation of Fe-38Ni-13Co-4.7Nb-l.5Ti-0.4Si superalloy in Ar-H2O atmosphere, Tetsu to Hagane, 80:574,(1994).Google Scholar
- 8.Kusabiraki, K., Sakuradani, K., and Saji, S., Effect of tensile stress on grain boundary selective oxidation in an Fe-36%Ni alloy, Tetsu to Hagane, 84: 291, (1998).Google Scholar
- 9.Watanabe, T., An approach to grain boundary design for strong and ductile polycrystals, Res Mechanica, 11: 47, (1984).Google Scholar
- 10.Watanabe, T., Grain boundary design and control for high temperature materials, Mater. Sci.Eng., A166: 11,(1993).Google Scholar
- 11.Palumbo, G., Lehockey, E. M.and Lin, P., Applications for grain boundary engineered materials, J. Metals, 50,40, (1998).Google Scholar
- 13.Kaur, I. and Gust, W., Fundamentals of Grain and Interphase Boundary Diffusion, Ziegler Press, Stuttgart, (1988).Google Scholar
- 16.Was, G. S., Thaveeprungsriporn, V. and Crawford, D. C., Grain boundary misorientation effect on creep and cracking in Ni-Based Alloys, J. Metals, 50: 44, (1998).Google Scholar