CVM Calculation of the Solid-State Equilibria in the Fe-Co Phase Diagram
Solid -state phase equilibria in the Fe-Co system are investigated using the Cluster Variation Method (CVM) in the irregular tetrahedron approximation in the bcc lattice and in the regular tetrahedron approximation in the fcc lattice. Calculations are performed in the quaternary Fe+ Fe− Co+ Co− by considering both chemical and magnetic interactions. The A2/B2 order/disorder transition and the α/γ transition agree well with the experimental data in the literature. The composition dependence of the Curie temperatures for bcc and fcc alloys as predicted here are also presented.
KeywordsCurie Temperature Magnetic Interaction Cluster Variation Method FeCo Alloy State Phase Equilibrium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T.Nishizawa and K. Ishida, Co-Fe, in: Phase Diagrams of Binary Iron Alloys, A.S.M. Int., USA (1993).Google Scholar
- 6.G. Inden an d W.O. Meyer, Approximate determination of the Curie temperature s of bcc Fe-Co alloys, Z Metal., 66:725 (1975).Google Scholar
- 9.H. Stuart and N. Ridley, Lattice parameters and Curie-point anomalies of iron-cobalt alloys, Brit. J. Appl. Phys., 2:485 (1969).Google Scholar
- 10.A.F. Guillermet, Critical evaluation of the thermodynamic properties of the iron-cobalt system, High Temp.- High Press., 19:477 (1987).Google Scholar
- 11.H. Masumoto, On a new transformation of cobalt and the equilibrium diagrams of nickel-cobalt and ironcobalt, Tohoku Imperial University Science Report, 1st ser., 15:450 (1926).Google Scholar
- 13.W.C. Ellis and E.S. Greiner, Equilibrium relations in the solid state of the iron-cobalt system, Trans. A.S.M., 29:415 (1941).Google Scholar
- 14.J.H. Andrews and C.G. Nicholson, The iron-cobalt system, First Report of the Alloy Steels Research Committee, (1936).Google Scholar
- 15.H. Asano, Y. Bando, N. Nakanishi, and S. Kachi, Order-disorder transformation of Fe-Co alloys in fine particles, Trans. Jpn. Inst. Met, 8:180 (1967).Google Scholar
- 17.W.A. Fisher, K. Lorenz, H. Fabritius, and D. Schlegel, Examination of the alpha-gamma transformation in very pure binary alloys of iron with molybdenum, vanadium, tungsten, niobium, tantalum, zirconium and cobalt, Arch. Eisenhüttenwes., 41:489 (1970).Google Scholar