What Drives Internet Demand in the UK?
Sources of information on Internet demand in the UK;
The drivers of demand for Internet access, and the demographic characteristics of Internet users — present and future;
The factors driving customer choice of Internet Service Provider (ISP);
The development of simple econometric models of the demand for Voice and Internet Local telephony, allowing comparison of Income and Price elasticities;
A comparison of the different characteristics of Voice and Internet calls.
The chapter discusses the detail of a customer choice model of Residential Internet usage, based on sample information from BT’s “Life in the Digital Home” project. The model explains differences in content choice and frequency of usage, which can be benchmarked against the results of the other studies.
KeywordsMigration Income Marketing Explosive Argentina
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cracknell, D., 1994, Growing the telecommunications market — lessons from the past. Proceedings of the International Telecommunications Society Regional Meeting, Khania, Crete, September.Google Scholar
- Cracknell, D., 1999, The changing market for inland and international calls. In ‘The Future of the Telecommunications Industry: Forecasting and Demand Analysis’, D. G. Loomis and L. D. Taylor, eds, Chapter 5.Google Scholar
- Keynotes Research, 1999, UK consumers Internet market.Google Scholar
- Kridel D, P., Rappoport, and L., Taylor, An econometric study of the demand for access to the Internet. Paper presented to 1998 International Telecommunications Society conference, Stockholm.Google Scholar
- Madden G and S., Savage, Pricing and Internet traffic. Paper presented to 1998 International Telecommunications Society conference, Stockholm.Google Scholar
- Ovum, 1999, DSL, The Broadband opportunity for copper, London.Google Scholar