The Video Placement and Routing Problem
The placement and transmission of videos subject to storage and transmission constraints in a video on demand network is investigated. A heuristic for the general problem of cost minimization is developed and its effectiveness demonstrated through extensive numerical testing. Whilst the general problem is shown to be non totally unimodular, an O(n 2 ) time solution for a special case is found. The model is then adapted to a hierarchical architecture.
KeywordsRouting storage transmission multi-commodity problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ouveysi I., Chan S. and Wong K.C. A Video placement algorithm for video-on-demand networks. Proceedings APCC′97, Sydney, Australia 1997: 1448–1452Google Scholar
- Brubeck D.W. and Rowe L.A. Hierarchical storage management in a distributed VoD system. IEEE Multimedia 1996: 37–47Google Scholar
- Bisdikian C.C. and Patel B.V. Cost based program allocation for distributed multimedia-on-demand systems. IEEE Multimedia 1996: 62–72Google Scholar
- Tanakata Y. and Berlage O. Application of genetic algorithms to VOD network topology optimization. IEICE Transactions on Communications 1996; E79–B(8): 1046–1053Google Scholar
- Milenkovic M. Delivering interactive services via a digital TV infrastructure. IEEE Multimedia 1998: 34–43Google Scholar
- Sesana L. The video placement and routing problem. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Bergamo, Italy 2000Google Scholar