A Planning System for Precision Farming Based on an Autonomous Tractor
This paper describes the planning system developed for precision farming. Particularly, the system aims to support the cooperative works between global positioning system (GPS) based autonomous tractor and its applicators. The autonomous tractor can run precisely in fields according to GPS based navigation. The applicators can be controlled to perform variable outputs according to the precise position in fields. Using the tractor and its applicators, we can realize precision farming according to several conditions in fields. In order to use the autonomous tractor system, the planning system is developed for storing the field information, navigating the tractor and planning the variable farm-work. In this paper, we show the outline of the total systems, planning methods of navigation and optimizing variable farm-work. The results of experiments applied to the planning system will be shown.
Keywordsplanning precision farming management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blackmore, S.. Precision Farming: An Introduction. Outlook on Agriculture 1994; 23(4): 275–280.Google Scholar
- Blackmore, S., P.N. Wheeler., P.N, Morris, R.M., Morris, J., Jones, R.J.A.. The Role of Precision Farming in Sustainable Agriculture: A European Perspective. In the Proc. of the 2nd International Conference on Site-Specific Management for Agricultural Systems 1994; 777–793Google Scholar
- Blackmore, S.. AN INFORMATION SYSTEM FOR PRECISION FARMING. In the Proc. of Brighton Crop Protection Conference: Pests and Diseases 1996; 3:1207–1214.Google Scholar
- ESRI GIS Solutions for Production Agriculture, A white paper of Environmental Systems Research Institute, Inc. 1997.Google Scholar
- Hara, Y.. Research on Precision Farming in Hokkaido. Journal of the Japanese Society of Agricultural Machinery 1999; 61(4): 19–23 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Iida, M., Maekawa, T., Kudo, M., Umeda, M.. Autonomous Follow-up Vehicle System for Agriculture (Part 2). Journal of the Japanese Society of Agricultural Machinery 1999; 61(6): 141–147 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Freimann, R.. Autonavigation and Implement Controlled Process Automation on CAN. In the Proc. of Int. Symposium on Electronic Farm Communication with LBS 2000; 64–87.Google Scholar
- Okuno, T., Takamatsu, K., Suzuki, K., and Kakazu, Y.. Map-based Control of Tractors and Implements for Precision Farming. In the Proc. of the 10th Int. Conf on Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing 2000; 1:26–28.Google Scholar
- Takamatsu, K., Suzuki, K., Okuno, T., Ohuchi, A., Kakazu, Y.. Management System with Web-based Interface for Precision Farming. In the Proc. of the 10th Int. Conf on Flexible Automation and Intelligent Manufacturing 2000; 1:271–278.Google Scholar
- Yukumoto, O., Matsuo, Y.. Navigation technology for tilling robots. In the Proc. of mobile Int. symposium on agricultural Bus-system LBS and PA 1997; 59–94.Google Scholar