Alternative Transformations and Duality of Linear Fractional Programming
This paper discusses alternative solutions and dual formulations of linear fractional programming. These solutions lie between the two usual solutions obtained from denominator or numerator normalisation. Data Envelopment Analysis is presented as a special case of homogeneous linear fractional programming. The consequent analysis provide alternative solutions which lie between those from input- and output-oriented models for constant returns to scale DEA models and better solutions for variable returns to scale DEA models than those from input- and output-oriented models. A case study of metropolitan hospitals in Victoria, Australia is discussed.
KeywordsLinear fractional programming duality data envelopment analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Charnes, A., Cooper, W.W., Lewin, A.Y., Seiford, L.M. Data Envelopment Analysis: Theory, Methodology, and Application. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1994.Google Scholar
- Cooper, W.W., Seiford, L.M., Tone, K. Data Envelopment Analysis: A Comprehensive Text with Models, Applications, References and DEA-Solver Sofiwar. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2000Google Scholar
- Hillier, F.S., Lieberman, G.J. Introduction to Operations Research, 5th edition, New York: McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, 1990.Google Scholar
- O’Brien, G.C., Wu, L. Bound Restrictions on DEA Slack and Its Feasibility. 5th International Conference of Decision Sciences Institute, 1999; Athens, Greece.Google Scholar
- O’Brien, G.C., Wu, L. DEA Duality and Infinitude of Primal Optimal Solutions. INFORMSKORMS Seoul 2000 Conference, 2000; Korea.Google Scholar
- Stancu-Minasian, I.M. Fractional Programming: Theory, Methods and Applications. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.Google Scholar