Parallel Agent Passing Tabu Search Algorithm For Graph Partitioning Problem
This paper implements standard Tabu Search (TS) and the Simulated Annealing (SA) algorithm, and examine the performance of the basic type of TS and SA for a multi-graph-partitioning problem. The results show that there is a tendency for the solutions obtained using standard TS and SA to be trapped in bad local optimum and TS is too computationally expensive in its pure form. In this respect, the increasing availability of parallel machines offers an interesting opportunity to explore the possibility of parallel TS algorithms, in order to reduce computational time for TS and to obtain better solutions. However, the parallelism for TS generally induces a loss of quality of the best solution found, because it significantly limits the movement possibilities between different subproblems. Hence, we present how the difficulty caused in parallel algorithm for this problem has been overcome.
Key wordsParallel algorithm Graph-partitioning problem Tabu search Agent Simulated annealing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aarts, E. and Korst, J. Simulated Annealing and Boltzmann Machines, John Wiley & Sons, 1989.Google Scholar
- Fujisawa, K., Kubo, M. and Morito, S. An Application of Tabu Search to the Graph Partitioning Problem, The Transactions of the Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan 1994: 114-C/4: 430–437,Google Scholar
- Gropp, W., Lusk, E. and Skjellum, A. Using MPI, Cambridge: The MIT Press 1999Google Scholar
- Jepsen, D. S., and Gelatt, C. D. Macro Placement by Monte Carlo Annealing. Proc. International Conf. On Computer Design 1983: 495–498Google Scholar
- Johnson, D., Aragon, C., Mcgeoch, L. and Schevon, C. Optimization by Simulated Annealing: An Experimental Evaluation; Part I, Graph partitioning, Operations Research 1989: 37/6: 865–892Google Scholar
- Kumar, V., Grama, A., Gupta, A. and Karypis, G. Introduction to Parallel Computing, The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Inc. 1994Google Scholar
- Mohr, T. Parallel Tabu Search for the Graph Coloring Problem, ORWP 88/11. DMA, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, 1988Google Scholar
- Sarkar, V. Partitioning and Scheduling parallel Program for Multiprocessors, MIT Press, Cambridge: 1989Google Scholar
- Taillard, E. Parallel Taboo Search Technique for the Jobshop Scheduling Problem, ORWP 89/11. DMA, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, 1989Google Scholar