Symbiosis Between Portunus Spinimanus Latreille, 1819 (Decapoda, Portunidae) and Octolasmis Lowei (Darwin, 1852) (Thoracica, Poecilasmatidae) from Ubatuba, Sao Paulo, Brazil
From May 1991 to May 1993, 1798 Portunus spinimanus were captured by monthly samplings in the Ubatuba region, São Paulo, Brazil. Octolasmis lowei was present on the gills of 183 crabs. The interaction between the two species was analyzed, focusing on the monthly presence of O. lowei on the gills of P. spinimanus, and its relationship with sex, molt cycle, stage of gonad development, and weight of the host crab. Octolasmis lowei was registered in all months except in July, August, September 1991, February and April 1992 . The infestation rates in male and female hosts were similar, 11% of adults and 1.1% of juveniles had O. lowei. Among infested crabs, 91.8% were in the intermolt stage; 55.9% of females were in an initial stage of gonad development and 53.6% of males presented fully developed gonads. The weight-carapace width relationship is described as follows: crabs infested with O. lowei, W = 3.9x l0-4CW2.87 and uninfested crabs, W = 56 x 10-4 CW3.31. The obtained data suggest that O. lowei infests adult crabs preferentially, and it doesn’t interfere with the gonad development of P. spinimanus. However, it seems to negatively affect the weight of infested crabs.
KeywordsSonal Mollusk Lester
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fransozo A, Negreiros-Fransozo ML, Mantelatto FLM, Pinheiro MAA and Santos S (1991) Composição e distribuição dos Brachyura (Crustacea, Decapoda) do sublitoral não consolidado da enseada da Fortaleza, Ubatuba, SP. Rev Bras Biol 52:667–675Google Scholar
- Gannon AT and Wheatly MG (1995) Physiological effects of a gill barnacle on host blue crabs during short-term exercise and recovery. Mar Behav Physiol 24:215–225Google Scholar
- Melo GAS (1996) Manual de identificação dos Brachyura (caranguejos e siris) do litoral brasileiro. São Paulo: Editora Plêiade, 603 pGoogle Scholar
- Santos S (1998) Moult cycle in the swimming crabPortunus spinimanus(Brachyura, Portunidae from Ubatuba, São Paulo, Brazil. Iheringia, Sér Zool 85:51–57Google Scholar
- Santos S, Negreiros-Fransozo ML and Fransozo A (1995) Morphometric relationships and maturation inPortunus spinimanusLatreille, 1819 (Crustacea, Brachyura, Portunidae). Rev Bras Biol 55:545–553Google Scholar
- Santos S, Negreiros-Fransozo ML and Fransozo A (1996) Maturidade fisiológica emPortunus spinimanusLatreille, 1819 (Crustacea, Brachyura, Portunidae). Papéis Avulsos de Zoologia 39:365–377Google Scholar
- Sokal RR and Rohlf FJ (1995) Biometry. WH Freeman, New York, 887 pGoogle Scholar
- Zar JH (1996) Bioestatistical analysis. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, 662 pGoogle Scholar