Presynaptic and Disynaptic Inhibition Induced by Group I Muscle Afferents
- 755 Downloads
The task related changes in the GpIinputs were investigated in type-identified motor units in the wrist extensor muscles. During wrist extension, the monosynaptic inputs generated by applying radial nerve stimulation were distributed among the motoneurone pool in line with the size principle. Their effectiveness was enhanced in the same way during hand clenching and during wrist extension combined with stimulation of the palm and finger cutaneous receptors. The orderly distribution of the monosynaptic Gp I inputs was reversed by the presynaptic inhibition induced by stimulating the Gp I flexor afferents. The effects of the presynaptic inhibition were partially released by applying cutaneous stimulation. During wrist extension, the Gp I flexor afferents generated disynaptic excitatory inputs acting specifically on high-threshold motor units together with disynaptic inhibitory inputs distributed in line with the size principle among the wrist extensor motor nucleus. During hand clenching, their effectiveness was differentially modulated depending on the motor unit type.
KeywordsMotor Unit Presynaptic Inhibition Wrist Extension Wrist Extensor Firing Probability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aymard, C., Chia, L., Katz, R., Lafitte, C., and Pénicaud, A., 1995, Reciprocal inhibition between wrist flexors and extensors in man: a new set of interneurones?Journal of Physiology437, 221–235.Google Scholar
- Burke, R. E., 1981, Handbook of Physiology, sect. I, The Nervous System, vol. I1, Motor Control, Brooks, V. B.,ed., American Physiological Society, Bethesda, pp. 345–421.Google Scholar
- Burke, R. E., 1991Motor Control: Concepts and IssuesD. R. Humphrey, and Freund, H.-J., eds., John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, pp. 5–21.Google Scholar
- Cope, T. C., and Pinter, M. J., 1995, The size principle: still working after all these yearsInternational Union for Physiological Sciences 10280–286.Google Scholar
- Henneman, E., and Mendell, L. M., 1981Handbook of Physiology sect. I The Nervous System vol. II Motor Controledited by Brooks, V. B., American Physiological Society, Bethesda, pp. 423–507.Google Scholar
- Munson, J. B., 1990The Segmental Motor Systemedited by Binder, M. D. and Mendell, L. M., Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 291–307.Google Scholar
- Rudomin, P., 1990The Segmental Motor SystemBinder, M. D. and Mendell, L. M., eds., Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 349–380.Google Scholar
- Schmied, A., Vedel, J.-P., Calvin-Figuiēre, S., Rossi-Durand, C., and Pagni, S., 1997b, Task-dependence of muscle afferent monosynaptic inputs to human extensor carpi radialis motoneuronesEEG and Clinical Neurophysiology105, 220–234.Google Scholar