Economic Changes Imposed by Mycotoxins in Food Grains: Case Study of Deoxynivalenol in Winter Wheat
The Fusarium epidemic of 1996 in Ontario winter wheat resulted in direct losses of well over $100 million Canadian dollars (CDN). More importantly, wheat marketing in Ontario has changed. The market focus remains primarily food grade. Thus, the awareness of deoxynivalenol (DON) entering the food chain has influenced marketing and trade. New market tolerances for DON have been set. The Chicago Board of Trade will only accept up to 5 ppm (DON), while a new tolerance of 0.5 ppm DON has been set in the breakfast cereal markets. Advance contracts are avoided and there is a new reluctance to service export customers, all because of the liability associated with DON. Furthermore, there are no markets for process by-products which contain concentrated levels of DON. Before 1996, DON problems were handled largely by blending grain across the province. A reluctance to blend DON contaminated wheat and site specific sourcing of grain is growing.
KeywordsWinter Wheat Fusarium Head Blight Soybean Cyst Nematode Farm Gate Fusarium Damage Kernel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anonymous, 2000, Field crops statistics. Ontario Ministry of Agriculture Food and Rural Affairs.http://www.gov.on.ca/omafra/english/stats/crops/index.html Google Scholar
- Allen, D, and Dupchak, K., 1999, Grading tolerances for fusarium-damaged grain and DON feeding guidelines. Canada Grain Commission.http://www.cga.ca/Pubs/fusarium/backgrounder/don-e.htm/Pubs/fusarium/backgrounder/don-e.htmGoogle Scholar
- Kuiper-Goodman, T., 1994, Prevention of human mycotoxicosis through risk assessment and risk management. In: Mycotoxins in Grain: Compounds other than aflatoxin. d TrenMiller, J.D. Anhom, H.L., Eds., Eagen Press, MN, pp. 439–469Google Scholar
- Miller, J.D. and Trenhom, H.L., 1994, In: Mycotoxins in Grain: Compounds other than Aflatoxin,. Miller, J.D. and Trenhom, H.L., Eds. Eagen Press MN.Google Scholar
- Prelusky, D.B, Ratter, B.A., and Ratter R.G., 1994, Toxicology of mycotoxins. In: Mycotoxins in Grain: Compounds other than aflatoxin. Miller, J.D. and Trenhom, H.L., Eds., Eagen Press MNGoogle Scholar
- Spring, K., 1998, CChicago Board of Trade quality requirements for wheat contract approved by CFT. Chicago Board of Trade. http://www.cbot.com/points_ofinterest/pressbox/pressreleases/p9811241.htm Google Scholar
- Wallace, S. and Favrin, R., 1999, Heterodera glycines Ichinohe, Soybean Cyst Nematode. Plant Health Survey Unit, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Agriculture and Agrifood Canadahttp://www.efia-acia.agr.ca/english/ppc/science/pps/datasheets/hetglye.shtml/english/ppc/science/pps/datasheets/hetglye.shtmlGoogle Scholar