HPLC Detection of Patulin in Apple Juice with GC/MS Confirmation of Patulin Identity
The official patulin LC procedure was further examined (AOAC 995.10). Juice or juice concentrate was extracted with ethyl acetate and cleaned up with sodium carbonate. Patulin in the dried extract was determined by reversed-phase LC with UV detection (280 nm) in 1% THE aqueous solution after evaporation of the ethyl acetate. An end-capped C18 column was required to separate patulin from hydroxymethylfurfural. Patulin was detected in approximately half of the >1000 extracts examined. Only ca 10% of the extracts contained patulin at levels greater than 50 µg/L (50 ppb). Some presumptive findings were confirmed by capillary gas chromatography/mass spectrometry as the trimethyl silyl derivative using electron ionization or as underivatized patulin using negative ion chemical ionization. Trifluoropropylmethyl polysiloxane capillary columns provided superior gas chromatography of underivatized patulin compared to phenyl/methyl polysiloxane and methyl polysiloxane columns.
KeywordsApple Juice Juice Extract Stable Isotope Dilution Assay External Standard Curve Cider Vinegar
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brause, A., Trucksess, M., Thomas, F., Page, S., 1996, Determination of patulin in apple juice by liquid chromatography: collaborative study, J. Assoc. Off Anal. Chem. 79:451.Google Scholar
- Forbito, P.R., Babsky, N.E., 1985, Rapid liquid chromatographic determination of patulin in apple juice, J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 68:950.Google Scholar
- Official Methods of Analysis, 1995, 16t Ed. March 1996 Supplement, AOAC International, Gaithersburg, MD, sec 995.10.Google Scholar
- Roach, J.A.G., White, K.D., Trucksess, M.W., Thomas, F.W., 2000, Capillary gas chromatography/mass spectrometry with chemical ionization and negative ion detection for confirmation of identity of patulin in apple juice, Int. J. Assoc. Off Anal. Chem. 83:104.Google Scholar
- Rupp, H.S., Turnipseed, S.B., 2000, Confirmation of patulin and 5-hydroxymethylfurfural in apple juice by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, Int. J Assoc. Off Anal. Chem. 83:612.Google Scholar
- Stray, H., 1978, High pressure liquid chromatographic determination of patulin in apple juice, J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 61:1359.Google Scholar