Two Dimensional Particle-in-Cell Simulation of Predischarge Phenomena Along an Insulator
A two-dimensional model for simulation of gas discharges along a resin insulator in SF6/N2 gas mixtures is developed by means of the Particle-in-cell and Monte Carlo (PIC-MCC) approach. The electron swarm and the following streamer developments are fully simulated, in which the elastic, exciting, ionising and attaching collisions between electrons and neutral gas molecules are considered, and the gas photoionisation and the photoelectric emission from cathode surface are realised by using a probabilistic scheme. Considering the effects of the space charges, Poisson fields are solved for each time step. The attached charges at the insulator surface are calculated according to the electric field distribution and taken into account for the solution of Poisson fields. The dynamic behaviour of electron swarms and streamer formation during the discharge are presented and analysed.
KeywordsElectric Field Distribution Insulator Surface Electron Avalanche Discharge Phenomenon Dissociative Attachment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. Femia, et al , Characterization of the active zone for leader propagation in SF6, Gaseous Dielectrics VII, edited by L. G. Christophorou and D. R. James (Plenum Press, New York, 1994), pp. 105–112.Google Scholar
- 2.Takehisa Hara, et al, Fractal characteristics of the random patterns of the surface streamer corona, 10th Int. Conf. on Gas Discharges and Their Appl., UK, pp. 306–309 (1992).Google Scholar
- 3.M. Tanaka and Y. Murooka, Study on nanosecond surface discharge using modeling and simulating method, 10th Int. Conf. on Gas Discharges and Their Appl., UK, pp. 860–863 (1992).Google Scholar
- 4.V. Gibalov and G. Pietsch, Surface discharge phenomena in barrier discharges with dielectric anode, 10th Int. Conf. on Gas Discharges and Their Appl., UK, pp. 552–555 (1992).Google Scholar
- 6.T. Jing, Surface charge accumulation: An inevitable phenomena in dc GIS, IEEE Trans. Diele. Elect. Insul., 5(2), pp. 771–778 (1995).Google Scholar
- 9.W. Pfeiffer, D. Schoen, and L. Z. Tong, Simulation of predischarge processes in SF6/N2 mixtures stressed by very fast transient voltage stress, IEEE Conf. on Elect. Insul. and Diele. Phenomena, Texas, pp. 391–394 (1999).Google Scholar
- 10.W. Pfeiffer, D. Schoen, and L. Z. Tong, Simulation of prebreakdown phenomena at a gas/solid interface in a SF6/N2 mixtures stressed by very fast transient voltage stress, IEEE Int. Symposium on Elect. Insul., CA, pp. 408–411(2000).Google Scholar
- 11.W. Pfeiffer, D. Schoen, and L. Z. Tong, An improved method for simulation of prebreakdown phenomena in SF6/N2 mixtures, 13th Int. Conf. on Gas Discharges and Their Appl., UK, Volume 1, pp. 389–392 (2000).Google Scholar