Gas-Phase Growth Kinetics and Morphology of Lead and Germanium Telluride Crystals
The kinetics of crystal growth and their dependence on external factors provide information critical for understanding the growth mechanism and for controlled production of crystals with a given composition and the required properties. Crystal growth is investigated using both kinetic and morphologic principles. The former relates the growth rate to the experimental conditions (temperature, source material composition, vapor composition and pressure, etc.). The latter examines the influence of these factors and the growth rate on the habit and morphology of the crystal. The present work studies relationships among the growth conditions, growth rate, and crystal morphology for sublimation in a closed system.
KeywordsCrystallization Quartz Furnace Depression Argon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. A. Maklakov, O. I. Tananaeva, and V. P. Zlomanov, “Mass transfer during growth of PbTe crystals from the vapor,” Elektron. Tekh., Ser. 6: Materialy, No 12 (181), 33–35 (1987).Google Scholar
- 3.M. P. Belyanskii, V. I. Dernovskii, O. I. Tananaeva, and V. P. Zlomanov, “Analysis of crystal growth kinetics from the gas phase at constant volume,” Vysokochist. Veshchestva, No. 5, 130–136 (1990).Google Scholar
- 4.A. M. Gas’kov, O. V. Matveev, V. P. Zlomanov, and A. V. Novoselova, “Study of PbTe,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Neorg. Mater., 5, No. 11, 1889–1893 (1969).Google Scholar
- 5.V. P. Zlomanov and A. V. Novoselova, P-T-x Phase Diagrams of Metal—Chalcogen Systems, Nauka, Moscow (1987).Google Scholar
- 6.V. I. Dernovskii, “Growth of crystals from the gas phase: mass transfer in a closed system,” Kristallografiya, 37, No. 2, 302–311 (1992).Google Scholar
- 7.A. P. Lyubimov and N. N. Bespal’tseva, “Mass spectrometric studies of the composition and pressure of GeTe vapor,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Neorg. Mater., 5, No. 5, 161–162 (1969).Google Scholar
- 8.M. A. Korzhuev, Germanium Telluride and its Physical Properties, Nauka, Moscow (1986).Google Scholar
- 10.L. V. Yashina, V. P. Zlomanov, V. I. Dernovskii, et al., “Growth rate and habit of GeTe crystals,” Neorg. Mater., 33, No. 2, 167–177 (1997).Google Scholar