TILOS: A Posynomial Programming Approach to Transistor Sizing
A new transistor sizing algorithm, which couples synchronous timing analysis with convex optimization techniques, is presented. Let A be the sum of transistor sizes, T the longest delay through the circuit, and K a positive constant. Using a distributed RC model, each of the following three programs is shown to be convex: 1) Minimize A subject to T < K. 2) Minimize T subject to A < K. 3) Minimize AT K . The convex equations describing T are a particular class of functions called posynomials. Convex programs have many pleasant properties, and chief among these is the fact that any point found to be locally optimal is certain to be globally optimal TILOS (Timed Logic Synthesizer) is a program that sizes transistors in CMOS circuits. Preliminary results of TILOS’s transistor sizing algorithm are presented.
KeywordsCritical Path Design Automation Path Delay NAND Gate Drain Capacitance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- L. A. Glasser and L. P. J. Hoyte. Delay and power optimization in VLSI circuits. In Design Automation Conf., pages 529–535, 1984.Google Scholar
- K. S. Hedlund. Electrical optimization of PLAs. In Design Automation Conf., pages 681–687, 1985.Google Scholar
- D. D. Hill. SC2: A hybrid automatic layout system. In Int. Conf. on Computer Aided Design, pages 172–174, 1985.Google Scholar
- N. Jouppi. Timing analysis for nMOS VLSI. In Design Automation Conf., pages 411–418, 1983.Google Scholar
- T. M. Lin and C. Mead. Signal delay in general RC networks with application to timing simulation of digital integrated circuits. In Conf. on Advanced Research in VLSI, pages 93–99, 1984.Google Scholar
- M. Matson. Optimization of digital MOS VLSI circuits. In Proc. Chapel Hill Conf. on VLSI, pages 488–491, 1985.Google Scholar
- J. Ousterhout. Switch-level delay models for digital MOS VLSI. In Design Automation Conf., pages 542–548, 1984.Google Scholar
- P. Penfield and J. Rubinstein. Signal delay in RC tree networks. In Proc. 2nd Caltech VLSI Conference, pages 269–283, 1981.Google Scholar
- A. E. Ruehli, P. K. Wolff, and G. Goertzel. Analytical power/timing optimization technique for digital system. In Design Automation Conf., pages 142–146, 1977.Google Scholar
- M. Shoji. Electrical design of BELLMAC-32A microprocessor. In Int. Conf on Circuits and Systems, pages 112–115, 1982.Google Scholar