Physiological Oxygen Measurements Using Oxygen Electrodes
It was the development by Clark in 1956 of the membrane-covered “integral” electrode that opened the field for truly physiological in vivo - and indeed clinical - measurements of oxygen partial pressure in blood and tissue. Since then, much of our knowledge about oxygen transport to tissue has been gained by the use of polarographic oxygen (and hydrogen) electrodes — many of them of the Clark-type. It is not possible in this paper to examine all of these applications and the reader is referred to a comprehensive review by Ltibbers.
KeywordsDioxide Spectrophotometry Dermatol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. C. Clark, Monitoring and control of blood and tissue oxygen, Trans. Am. Soc. Artif Intern. Organs 2:4148 (1956).Google Scholar
- 3.R. Huch, D. W. Lubbers and A. Huch, in: Oxygen Measurements in Medicine and Biology, edited by J. P. Payne and D. W. Hill (Butterworths, London, 1975) pp. 121–138.Google Scholar
- 6.H. Baumgärtl, W. Zimelka and D. Lubbers, Evaluation of p02 profiles to describe the oxygen pressure field within the tissue, Comp. Biochem. Physiol. (In Press).Google Scholar
- 8.M. Kessler and D. W. Lubbers, Aufbau und Anwendungsmöglichkeiten verschiedener P02-Elektroden, Pfug. Arch. ges. Physiol. 291:R82 (1966).Google Scholar
- 9.M. Kessler, D. K. Harrison and J. Höper, in: Microcirculatory Technology, edited by C. H. Baker and W. F. Nastuk (Academic Press, New York, 1986) pp. 391–425.Google Scholar
- 12.D. K. Harrison, M. Kessler and S. K. Knauf, Regulation of capillary blood flow and oxygen supply in skeletal muscle in dogs during hypoxaemia, J Physiol. (Lond.) 420: 431–446 (1989).Google Scholar
- 13.D. K. Harrison, M. Kessler, S. Birkenhake and S. K Knauf, Local oxygen supply and blood flow regulation in contracting muscle in dogs and rabbits../. Physiol. (Lond.) 422:227–243 (1990).Google Scholar
- 17.W. Wang, C. P. Winlove and C. C. Michel, Distribution of oxygen partial pressure (PO2) in dermal papillae of human finger nailfolds,J Vasc. Res. 38:399 (2001).Google Scholar