No other term conjures up such delight and apprehension as does the word, “sex.” Over the past three decades, information regarding sexuality has been proliferated, primarily through various media. While this may be seen as positive progress in dispelling myths surrounding sexuality, it has not provided the information or the skills necessary to promote healthy sexuality in children, which is the concern of this entry.
KeywordsSexual Behavior Sexual Harassment Sexual Development Genital Herpes Human Sexuality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brody, S. (1997). Sex at risk. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction.Google Scholar
- Carkhuff, R.R., & Anthony, W.A. (1993). The skills of helping. Amherst, MA: Human Resource Developmental Press.Google Scholar
- Erikson, E.H. (1963). Childhood and society (2nd ed.). New York: Norton.Google Scholar
- Masters, W.H., Johnson, V.E., & Kolodny, R.C. (1986). Masters and Johnson on human sex and loving. Boston, MA: Little, Brown & Company.Google Scholar
- McAnulty, R.D., & Burnette, M.M. (2001) Exploring human sexuality: Making healthy decisions. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.Google Scholar
- National Guidelines Task Force. (1996). Guidelines for comprehensive sexuality education (2nd ed.). Washington, DC: Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States.Google Scholar
- Openshaw, D.K. (1999). “Resiliency in children.” In C. Smith (Ed.), The encyclopedia of parenting theory and research (pp. 357–359). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.Google Scholar
- Reiss, I.L. (1986). Journey into sexuality: An exploratory voyage. Englewood Cliffs, HJ: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Simpson, J.A., & Rholes, W.S. (1998). Attachment theory and close relationships. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Symons, D. (1979). The evolution of human sexuality. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Trivers, R.E. (1972). Parental investment and sexual selection. In B. Campbell (Ed.), Sexual selection and the descent of man (pp. 136–179). Chicago: Aldine.Google Scholar