Advertisement

Disorders of Calcium: Physiology

  • Alluru S. ReddiEmail author
Chapter

Abstract

Calcium (Ca2+) is the most abundant divalent ion in the body. Approximately 1.2–1.3 kg of Ca2+ is present in a 70-kg individual. Of this amount, 99 % is present in the bone in the form of hydroxyapatite (Ca10(PO4)6 (OH)2), and the remaining 1 % is found in the teeth, soft tissues, plasma, and cells. The plasma (serum) Ca2+ concentration (abbreviated as [Ca2+]) is 10 mg/dL (range 8.5–10.5 mg/dL) and circulates in three forms. About 50 % of Ca2+ exists as a free or ionized form. Approximately 40 % of Ca2+ is bound to proteins, mostly to albumin and to some extent globulins. The remaining 10 % is complexed with anions such as phosphate, bicarbonate, and citrate (Table 17.1). Only the ionized and anion-complexed Ca2+ is filtered at the glomerulus. Protein-bound Ca2+ is not filtered. Only the ionized (free) Ca2+ is physiologically active. The free intracellular [Ca2+] is about 10,000-fold lower than the extracellular free [Ca2+]; this concentration gradient is maintained by Ca2+-specific channels, Ca-ATPase, and a Na/Ca exchanger.Ca2+ plays a significant role in cellular metabolic functions; such as muscle and nerve contraction, activation of enzyme, blood coagulation, and cell growth. Consequently, low plasma [Ca2+] (hypocalcemia) or high plasma [Ca2+] (hypercalcemia) may lead to severe cellular dysfunction.

Keywords

Calcium homeostasis Calcium transport Hypocalcemia Hypercalcemia Calcium channel Calcium absorption 

Suggested Reading

  1. 1.
    Bindels RJM, Hoenderop GJ, Biber J. Transport of calcium, magnesium, and phosphate. In: Taal MW, Chertow GM, Marsden PA, Editors. Brenner & Rector’s the kidney. 9th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2012, pp. 226–51.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  2. 5.
    Hoenderrop JG, Nilius B, Bindels RJM. Calcium absorption across epithelia. Phys Rev. 2005;85:373–422.Google Scholar
  3. 4.
    Mensenkamp AR, Hoenderop JGJ, Bindels RJM. Recent advances in renal tubular calcium absorption. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2006;15:524–9.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  4. 2.
    Riccardi D, Kemp PJ. The calcium-sensing receptor beyond extracellular calcium homeostasis: conception, development, adult physiology, and disease. Annu Rev Physiol. 2012;74:271–97.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
  5. 3.
    Riccardi D, Brown EM. Physiology and pathophysiology of the calcium-sensing receptor in the kidney. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;298:F485–F99.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014

Authors and Affiliations

  1. 1.Department of Medicine Division of Nephrology and HypertensionRutgers New Jersey Medical SchoolNewarkUSA

Personalised recommendations