Clinical Evaluations of the Patient
The clinical evaluation involves history taking, physical examination, and the communication between physician and patient. It is a data gathering and utilization process designed to deliver the best overall outcome for the patient. Important components include utilization of history and physical examination to generate a differential diagnosis with associated pretest probabilities, assessment of potential benefits and risks of different management pathways, and appreciation of important patient-centered factors, e.g., preference, motivation, and cost. This chapter is designed to provide tools for evaluating the sleep clinical evaluation. The instruments designed were history and physical examination checklist, recall matching answer sets, essay questions, summative essay questions, IQ case discussion, and lecture.
KeywordsSleep Apnea Insulin Glargine Excessive Daytime Sleepiness Pretest Probability Clinical Prediction Rule
- 1.Zhang J, Li Y, Cao X, Xian J, Tan J, Dong J, Ye J. The combination of anatomy and physiology in predicting the outcomes of velopharyngeal surgery. Laryngoscope. 2013. doi: 10.1002/lary.24510. PubMed PMID: 24353091. [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar
- 2.Myers KA, Mrkobrada M, Simel DL. Does this patient have obstructive sleep apnea? The Rational Clinical Examination systematic review. JAMA. 2013;310(7):731–41. 10.1001/jama.2013.276185. Review. PubMed PMID: 23989984.Google Scholar
- 3.Khayat R, Small R, Rathman L, Krueger S, Gocke B, Clark L, Yamokoski L, Abraham WT. Sleep-disordered breathing in heart failure: identifying and treating an important but often unrecognized comorbidity in heart failure patients. J Card Fail. 2013 Jun;19(6):431–44. 10.1016/j.cardfail.2013.04.005. Review. PubMed PMID: 23743494; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3690313.Google Scholar
- 4.Katyal V, Pamula Y, Martin AJ, Daynes CN, Kennedy JD, Sampson WJ. Craniofacial and upper airway morphology in pediatric sleep-disordered breathing: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2013;143(1):20–30.e3. 10.1016/j.ajodo.2012.08.021. Review. PubMed PMID: 23273357.Google Scholar
- 5.Nami MT. Evaluation of the sleepy patient. Aust Fam Physician. 2012;41(10):787–90. Review. PubMed PMID: 23210101Google Scholar