The Role of the International Anesthesia Research Society in the History of Anesthesia
The 10-decade old, 14,000-member International Anesthesia Research Society (IARS) was born and grew through the efforts of Francis McMechan (1879–1939) and his wife Laurette McMechan (1878–1970). By 1911, severe rheumatoid arthritis prevented McMechan from continuing his medical practice, and he turned his skills to the development of anesthesia organizations. In 1914, McMechan became editor of theQuarterly Supplement of Anesthesia and Analgesia. In 1919, he established the National Anesthesia Research Society (NARS) which in 1922, initiated publication ofCurrent Researches in Anesthesia and Analgesia. The IARS succeeded the NARS in 1925. In 1957, the Journal becameAnesthesia and Analgesia…Current Researches, and in 1979 it becameAnesthesia & Analgesia.
KeywordsInternational Anesthesia Research Society Anesthesiology history History of anesthesia society Anesthesia society history
The authors wish to thank Laura Kuhar of the IARS staff and the Wood Library-Museum of Anesthesiology for their help in providing material for this review.
- 2.Martin JT (JTM). Vignettes about Francis Hoeffer McMechan, MD. IARS Archives, WLM, Park Ridge Illinois; undated.Google Scholar
- 3.Atkinson RS. Francis Hoeffer McMechan’1879–1939. Hist Anaesth Soc Proc. 1995;18:53–5.Google Scholar
- 6.Archives of the International Anesthesia Research Society and its predecessors. Wood Library-Museum of Anesthesiology, Park Ridge, Illinois.Google Scholar
- 7.International Anesthesia Research Society constitution and by-laws. Curr Res Anesth Analg. 1925 April;3:66; 126–7. Google Scholar
- 8.New requirements for medical certification in the International College of Anesthetists. Curr Res Anesth Analg. 1941;20:March suppl, p 32. Google Scholar
- 9.Part of a letter from McMechan as recorded in the Minutes of a March 2, 1936 meeting of the New York Society of Anesthetists.Google Scholar
- 12.Report of Dr. E. Klaus, Acting Executive Secretary-Editor. Proceedings of the Board of Governors’ Meeting of July 1st, 1939. Curr Res Anesth Analg. 1940;19:7–12.Google Scholar
- 17.Editorial. The Board of Governors has the honor to present Howard Dittrick, M.B., M.D. Curr Res Anesth Analg. 1940;19:1.Google Scholar
- 25.Griffith HR. A history of the World Federation of Anesthesiologists. Anesth Analg. 1963;42:389–97.Google Scholar