The Media’s Role in Vaccine Misinformation
Prominent vaccine advocate Dr. Paul Offit aptly summarized the relationship between the press and modern vaccinophobia by stating, “the news media are, at best, an imperfect window to the truth about vaccines” (Offit, Expert Rev Vaccines 2(1):1–3, 2003). The goal of this chapter is to review the media’s role in vaccine controversies of the late twentieth and early twenty-first century by highlighting specific examples in which the media was directly responsible for propagating misinformation on the safety of vaccines. Tangible solutions to guide responsible dissemination of public health information are proposed in an effort to avoid other similar crises in the future.
KeywordsHuman Papilloma Virus News Story Vaccine Safety Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine Vaccine Preventable Disease
- 12.Dunwoody S. Scientists, journalists, and the meaning of uncertainty. In: Friedman SM, Dunwoody S, Rogers CL, editors. Communicating uncertainty: media coverage of new and controversial science. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum; 1999.Google Scholar
- 16.Seale C. Media & health. London: Sage; 2002.Google Scholar
- 22.Kahn A. Pediatricians decry in-flight vaccine-questioning ad on Delta. Los Angeles Times. 2011. http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov/16/news/la-heb-vaccine-delta-nvic-change-petition- autism-20111115. Accessed 21 Feb 2012.
- 23.Herper M. Pediatrician group slams Delta Airlines for running video made by vaccine skeptics. Forbes. 2011. http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2011/11/07/pediatricians-group-slams-delta-airlines-for-running-video-made-by-vaccine-skeptics/. Accessed 21 Feb 2012.
- 24.Hensley S. Pediatricians fact-check Bachmann’s bashing of HPV vaccine. NPR. 2011. http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/09/13/140445104/pediatricians-fact-check-bachmanns-bashing-of-hpv-vaccine. Accessed 15 Feb 2012.
- 25.The New York Times. Revising Miss America’s Story. The New York Times. 1994. http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/26/us/revising-miss-america-s-story.html. Accessed 17 Feb 2012.
- 26.Greenfeld KT. The autism debate: who’s afraid of Jenny McCarthy? Time Magazine. 2010. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1968100-2,00.html. Accessed 17 Feb 2012.
- 27.Mnookin S. Autism and the affluent. Newsweek Magazine. 2011. http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2011/01/03/money-the-link-between-autism-and-vaccines.html. Accessed 17 Feb 2012.