The following prerequisite interviewing skills need to be mastered before role-playing suicidal assessments: maintain a slow pace, elicit feelings, empathic summary, feeling response, self-awareness, clarify vague answers, open-ended inquiry, validity tools for increasing accuracy, and transitional statements.
KeywordsArthritis Depression Serotonin Folk
- 4.Shea SC. The practical art of suicide assessment: a guide for mental health professionals and substance abuse counselors. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley; 2002.Google Scholar
- 5.Shea SC. The delicate art of eliciting suicidal ideation. Psychiatr Ann. 2004;34:385–400.Google Scholar
- 6.American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. Practice parameters for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with suicide behavior. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001;40(suppl):24s–51s.Google Scholar
- 8.Bryan CJ, Corso K, Rudd MD, Cordero L. Improving identification of suicidal patients in primary care through routine screening. Prim Care Community Psychiatr. 2008;13:143–7.Google Scholar
- 10.Bryan CJ, Rudd MD. Managing suicide risk in primary care. New York, NY: Springer; 2011.Google Scholar
- 16.McDaniel SH, Campbell TL, Hepworth J, Lorenz A. Family-oriented primary care. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Springer; 2005.Google Scholar