The Afterlife of Total Information Awareness
Although the U.S. Congress axed the Information Awareness Office (IAO) and dismantled Total Information Awareness (TIA) in September 2003, TIA did not really cease to exist.
KeywordsCentral Intelligence Agency Defense Advance Research Project Agency Defense Advance Research Project Agency Fourth Amendment National Security Agency
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- 1.Gorman, Siobhan. NSA’s Domestic Spying Grows As Agency Sweeps Up Data. [Online] The Wall Street Journal, March 10, 2008. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120511973377523845.html.
- 2.Cauley, Leslie. NSA has massive database of Americans’ phone calls. [Online] USA Today, May 11, 2006. http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-05-10-nsa_x.htm.
- 3.American Civil Liberties Union. Stunning New Report on Domestic NSA Dragnet Spying Confirms ACLU Surveillance Warnings. [Online] American Civil Liberties Union, March 12, 2008. http://www.aclu.org/technology-and-liberty/stunning-new-report-domestic-nsa-dragnet-spying-confirms-aclu-surveillance-wa.
- 4.CASE NO. CV-08-04373-JSW. Declaration Of William E. Binney In Support Of Plaintiffs’ Motion For Partial Summary Judgment Rejecting The Government Defendants’ State Secret Defense. [Online] United States District Court for the Northern District of California, September 28, 2012. http://info.publicintelligence.net/NSA-WilliamBinneyDeclaration.pdf.
- 5.C-06-0672-VRW. Declaration of Mark Klein in Support of Plainteiffs’ Motion for Preliminary Injunction. [Online] United States District Court Northern District of California, June 8, 2006. https://www.eff.org/files/filenode/att/SER_klein_decl.pdf.
- 6.Poe, Robert. The Ultimate Net Monitoring Tool. [Online] Wired, May 17, 2006. http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/05/70914.
- 7.Kelley, Michael. NSA Whistleblower Details How The NSA Has Spied On US Citizens Since 9/11. [Online] Business Insider, August 24, 2012. http://www.businessinsider.com/nsa-whistleblower-william-binney-explains-nsa-surveillance-2012-8.
- 8.National Security Agency. Our History. [Online] National Security Agency, January 15, 2009. http://www.nsa.gov/public_info/speeches_testimonies/nsa_videos/history_of_nsa.shtml.
- 9.Central Security Service (CSS). [Online] National Security Agency, November 21, 2012. http://www.nsa.gov/about/central_security_service/index.shtml.
- 10.Risen, James and Lichtblau, Eric. Bush Lets U.S. Spy on Callers Without Courts. [Online] The New York Times, December 16, 2005. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/16/politics/16program.html?pagewanted=all.
- 11.Department of Justice. Iyman Faris Sentenced for Providing Material Support to Al Qaeda. [Online] U.S. Department of Justice, October 28, 2003. http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2003/October/03_crm_589.htm.
- 12.Summers, Chris and Casciani, Dominic. Fertiliser bomb plot: The story. [Online] BBC News, April 30, 2007. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6153884.stm.
- 13.epic.org. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). [Online] Electronic Privacy Information Center. http://epic.org/privacy/terrorism/fisa/.
- 14.Sanger, David E. and O’Neil, John. White House Begins New Effort to Defend Surveillance Program. [Online] The New York Times, January 23, 2006. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/23/politics/23cnd-wiretap.html?pagewanted=all.
- 15.110th Congress. Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act Of 1978 Amendments Act Of 2008. [Online] U.S. Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, July 10, 2008. http://www.intelligence.senate.gov/laws/pl110261.pdf.
- 16.Lichtblau, Eric. Senate Approves Bill to Broaden Wiretap Powers. [Online] The New York Times, July 10, 2008. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/washington/10fisa.html.
- 17.ACLU. ACLU Sues Over Unconstitutional Dragnet Wiretapping Law. [Online] American Civil Liberties Union, July 10, 2008. http://www.aclu.org/national-security/aclu-sues-over-unconstitutional-dragnet-wiretapping-law.
- 18.Ostrow, Ronald J. First 9 Japanese WWII Internees Get Reparations. [Online] Los Angeles Times, October 10, 1990. http://articles.latimes.com/1990-10-10/news/mn-1961_1_japanese-wwii-internees.
- 19.Gongloff, Mark. Middle East futures market returns. Private firm will restart Pentagon project, but without contracts for violence, in 2004. [Online] CNNMoney, November 18, 2003. http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/17/news/terror_futures/index.htm.
- 20.Scheiber, Noam. 2003: THE 3rd ANNUAL YEAR IN IDEAS; Futures Markets in Everything. [Online] The New York Times, December 14, 2003. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/14/magazine/2003-the-3rd-annual-year-in-ideas-futures-markets-in-everything.html.
- 21.Chen, Kay-Yut and Plott, Charles R. Information Aggregation Mechanisms: Concept, Design and Implementation for a Sales Forecasting Problem. [Online] California Institute of Technology, March 2002. www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Kay-Yut_Chen/paper/ms020408.pdf.
- 22.The University of Iowa. Iowa Electronic Markets. [Online] University of Iowa Henry B. Tippie College of Business. http://tippie.uiowa.edu/iem/.
- 23.HSX. Hollywood Stock Exchange: The Entertainment Market. [Online] http://www.hsx.com/.
- 24.Wilson, James M. Statement by James M. Wilson V, MD. [Online] U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, October 4, 2007. http://www.hsgac.senate.gov//imo/media/doc/WilsonTestimony.pdf.
- 25.U.S. News & World Report. Q&A: DNI Chief Scientist Eric Haseltine. [Online] U.S. News & World Report, November 3, 2006. http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/061103/3qahaseltine_6.htm.
- 26.Wright, Lawrence. The Spymaster. Can Mike McConnell fix America’s intelligence community? [Online] The New Yorker, January 21, 2008. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/01/21/080121fa_fact_wright?currentPage=all.
- 27.DARPA. Information Innovation Office. [Online] Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. http://www.darpa.mil/Our_Work/I2O/.
- 28.U.S. Congress. Committee Reports. 108th Congress (2003-2004). House Report 108-283. [Online] The Library of Congress, September 2003. http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquery/?&sid=cp108alJsu&refer=&r_n=hr283.108&db_id=108&item=&&sid=cp108alJsu&r_n=hr283.108&dbname=cp108&&sel=TOC_309917.
- 29.Kalil, Tom. Big Data is a Big Deal. [Online] The White House, March 29, 2012. http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/03/29/big-data-big-deal.
- 30.Office of Science and Technology Policy. Obama Administration Unveils “Big Data” Initiative: Announces $200 Million In New R&D Investments. [Online] Executive Office of the President, March 29, 2012. http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/big_data_press_release.pdf.
- 31.Executive Office of the President. Big Data Across the Federal Government. [Online] The White House, March 29, 2012. http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/big_data_fact_sheet_final_1.pdf.
- 32.Gorman, Siobhan. How Team of Geeks Cracked Spy Trade. [Online] The Wall Street Journal, September 4, 2009. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125200842406984303.html.
- 33.Vance, Ashlee and Stone, Brad. Palantir, the War on Terror’s Secret Weapon. [Online] Bloomberg Businessweek, November 22, 2011. http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/palantir-the-vanguard-of-cyberterror-security-11222011.html.
- 34.Palantir Technologies. Industries & Solutions. [Online] Palantir Technologies. [Cited: November 14, 2012.] http://www.palantir.com/solutions/.
- 35.Anderson, Nate. Spy Games: Inside the Convoluted Plot to Bring Down WikiLeaks. [Online] Wired, February 14, 2011. http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/02/spy/.
- 36.Angle, Jim and Herridge, Catherine. Debate Rages Over Legality of NSA Wiretap Program. [Online] Fox News, December 21, 2005. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,179323,00.html.
- 37.New York City Police Department. Public Security Privacy Guidelines. [Online] New York City Police Department, April 2, 2009. http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/crime_prevention/public_security_privacy_guidelines.pdf.
- 38.McDuffie, Mike. Microsoft and NYPD Announce Partnership Providing Real-Time Counterterrorism Solution Globally. [Online] Microsoft, August 8, 2012. http://www.microsoft.com/government/en-us/state/brightside/Pages/details.aspx?Microsoft-and-NYPD-Announce-Partnership-Providing-Real-Time-Counterterrorism-Solution-Globally&blogid=697.
- 39.Cruickshank, Paul. Inside the plot to devastate New York. [Online] CNN, May 2, 2012. http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/02/time-line-for-a-terror-plot/.
- 40.Bamford, James. War of Secrets; Eyes in the Sky, Ears to the Wall, and Still Wanting. [Online] The New York Times, September 8, 2002. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/08/weekinreview/war-of-secrets-eyes-in-the-sky-ears-to-the-wall-and-still-wanting.html?pagewanted=all.
- 41.Draughn, Katisha. Federal partners break ground on $1.5 billion center. [Online] US Army Corps of Engineers Baltimore District, February 10, 2011. http://www.nab.usace.army.mil/News/20110210_Federal%20partners%20break%20ground%20on%20$1.5%20billion%20center.htm.
- 42.Bamford, James. The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say). [Online] Wired, March 15, 2012. http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/.
- 43.Harris, Shane. Giving Into the Surveillance State. [Online] The New York Times, August 22, 2012. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/23/opinion/whos-watching-the-nsa-watchers.html.
© Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013