Comprehensive Education-Based Mental Health Services for Students Diagnosed on the Autism Spectrum
The purpose of this chapter is to describe clinical strategies that parents and professionals can use to improve treatments provided to students on the autism spectrum. The focus of the chapter is to explain the complexity of treatments that may be effective with Asperger students and others on the spectrum.
KeywordsToxicity Depression Schizophrenia Serotonin Risperidone
- Klin, A., Volkmar, F. R., & Sparrow, S. S. (2000). Asperger syndrome psychopharmacological treatment of higher functioning pervasive developmental disorders (p. 219). New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Mattila, M. L., Hurtig, T., Haapsamo, H., Jussila, K., Kuusikko-Gauffin, S., Kielinen, M., et al. (2010). Comorbid psychiatric disorders associated with Asperger syndrome high-functioning autism: A community- and clinic-based study. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 40(9), 1080–1093.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mefford, H., & Eichler, E. E. (2009). Duplication hotspots, rare genomic disorders, and common disease. Genetics and Development, 19(3), 196–204.Google Scholar
- Mesibov, G. B., Shea, V., & Adams, L. W. (2001). Understanding asperger syndrome and high functioning autism. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum.Google Scholar
- National Human Genome Research Institute. (2012). Frequently asked questions about genetic testing. Retrieved October 13, 2011, from http://www.genome.gov/1951656710/13/11.
- Singer, E. (2009a). Interpreting the genome. MIT Technology Review, 112(1), 48–53.Google Scholar
- Singer, E. (March/April, 2009b). A hole in the genome. Technology Review. Retrieved September 19, 2012, from http://www.technologyreview.com/review/412209/a-hole-in-the-genome.
- Smith, B. L. (2012). Inappropriate prescribing. Monitoring on Psychology, 43(6), 38–40.Google Scholar
- The Learning Clinic. (2011). Preliminary findings for TLC applied research: Results of pharmacology-genotyping among TLC students. Retrieved September 19, 2012, from http://www.thelearningclinic.org.
- Villagra, D., Goethe, J., Schwartz, H. I., Szarek, B., Kocherla, M., Gorowski, K., et al. (2011) Novel drug metabolism indices for pharmacogenetic functional status based on combinatory genotyping of CYP2C9, CYP2C19 and CYP2D6 genes. Biomarkers in Medicine, 5(4), 427–438.Google Scholar